1. Council Regulation (EC) 765/2006 (the “Regulation”) concerning restrictive measures in respect of Belarus has been amended.
2. An asset freeze now applies to the persons listed in the Annex to this Notice under Part 3 of the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2020 (“SAFL”).
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
3. 12 entries have been added and are now subject to an asset freeze.
4. The following entries have been amended and are still subject to an asset freeze:
- LUKASHENKO, Alexander Ryhoravich
- LUKASHENKO, Viktor Aliaksandravich
- SERGEENKO, Igor Petrovich
What you must do
5. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations (“MER”).
- report any findings to MER, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with the Regulation.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MER may request. Information reported to MER may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
6. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
7. The Regulation is implemented in Jersey under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of EU Regulations) (Jersey) Order 2020 (the “EU Regulations Order”), which was made under Articles 3 and 4 of SAFL.
8. On 6 November 2020 Council Implementing Regulation 2020/1648 (the “Amending Regulation”) was published in the Official Journal of the European Union by the Council of the European Union.
9. The Amending Regulation amended Annex I to the Regulation with effect from 6 November 2020. Any changes to the Annex are effective immediately in Jersey by virtue of the ambulatory provisions of the EU Regulations Order and listed persons are subject to an asset-freeze under Part 3 of SAFL.
10. A copy of the Regulation and the Amending Regulation can be obtained from the website of the Official Journal of the European Union.
11. The EU Regulations Order and SAFL, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
12. Copies of recent Notices, certain EU Regulations and Jersey legislation can be found on the Belarus sanctions page on the Jersey Financial Services Commission (“JFSC”) website.
13. Please note there are also import and export restrictions on Belarus.
14. For more information on Sanctions please see the Government of Jersey webpage on sanctions and the JFSC guidance on sanctions.
15. Non-media enquiries, reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
Annex to Notice
16. Full details of the additions and amendments can be found here.