1. The Myanmar (Sanctions) Regulations 2021 (the “UK Regulations”) provide for the freezing of funds and economic resources of certain persons, entities or bodies involved in undermining democracy, the rule of law or good governance in Myanmar; the repression of the civilian population in Myanmar; the commission of, or the obstruction of an independent investigation into, a serious human rights violation or abuse in Myanmar; the commission of a violation of international humanitarian law in Myanmar; the obstruction of a human assistance activity in Myanmar; any other action, policy or activity which threatens the peace, stability or security of Myanmar.
2. The Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of External Sanctions) (Jersey) Order 2021 (the “Order”), made under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”), links to the UK Regulations.
3. Any asset-freeze designations made under the UK Regulations are effective immediately by virtue of the ambulatory provisions in Jersey’s sanctions legislation.
4. An asset freeze now applies to the person listed in the Annex to this Notice under Part 3 of SAFL.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
5. The following designation has been made and is now subject to an asset freeze:
- Myanmar Gems Enterprise (MGE)
What you must do
6. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations and Financial Services (“MERFS”).
- report any findings to MERFS, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with SAFL.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MERFS may request. Information reported to MERFS may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
7. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
9. Jersey guidance on the Myanmar sanctions regime is available on JFSC website
10. Copies of Jersey sanctions legislation, including the Order
, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
11. A copy of the UK Regulations can be obtained from legislation.gov.uk
and other relevant information about this regime can be found on gov.uk
12. A copy of the UK sanctions list can be found here
13. A copy of the OFSI consolidated list can be found here
14. Non-media enquiries, suspected breach reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
ANNEX TO NOTICE
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: MYANMAR
1. Myanmar Gems Enterprise (MGE)
Address: Myanmar Gems Enterprise, No.70-072, Yarza Thingaha Road, Thapyaygone Ward, Zabuthiri Township, Naypyitaw, Myanmar. Other Information: (UK Sanctions List Ref): MYA0024 (UK Statement of Reasons): The Myanmar military seized power from civilian leaders on 1 February in a coup d'état and established a military junta. Since then all state institutions have come under the control of the State Administration Council (SAC), who oversee the governance and expenditure of ministries. The SAC/military junta undermines democracy and, together with the Myanmar Security Forces, is responsible for the repression of the civilian population. Myanmar Gems Enterprise is a state-owned enterprise which operates under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation (MONREC) and provides funding directly to the Ministry of Planning and Finance (MOPF). There are reasonable grounds to suspect that MGE, is under the control of, and/or is associated with, the SAC via its subservient relationship with MONREC. Further or alternatively, there are reasonable grounds to suspect that MGE makes available funds or economic resources, to the SAC/military junta that could contribute to undermining democracy and repressing the civilian population. Further or alternatively MGE is also associated with the military through its joint venture partnerships and close links to military companies, for which it grants favourable mining rights and permits. MGE also runs and controls gems emporiums, which are attended by and benefit the military and their companies. (Phone number): (+)9509262597027 (Email address): Famouswin599@gmail.com (Organisation type): Public/State Owned (Parent company): State Owned Enterprise (SOE) Listed on: 17/05/2021 Last Updated: 17/05/2021
Ministry for External Relations
18 May 2021