1. The Global Human Rights Sanctions Regulations 2020 (the “UK Regulations”) provide for the freezing of funds and economic resources of certain persons, entities or bodies responsible for or involved in serious violations of human rights.
2. The Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of External Sanctions) (Jersey) Order 2021 (the “Order”), made under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”), links to the UK Regulations.
3. Any asset-freeze designations made under the UK Regulations are effective immediately by virtue of the ambulatory provisions in Jersey’s sanctions legislation.
4. An asset freeze now applies to the persons listed in the Annex to this Notice under Part 3 of SAFL.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
5. The following designation has been made and is now subject to an asset freeze:
- Myanmar Economic Holdings Public Company Ltd
What you must do
6. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations (“MER”).
- report any findings to MER, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with SAFL.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MER may request. Information reported to MER may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
7. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
9. Jersey guidance on the UK Human Rights regime is available on JFSC website
10. Copies of Jersey sanctions legislation, including the Order
, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
11. A copy of the UK Regulations can be obtained from legislation.gov.uk
and other relevant information about this regime can be found on gov.uk.
12. A copy of the UK sanctions list can be found here
13. A copy of the OFSI consolidated list can be found here
14. Non-media enquiries, suspected breach reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
ANNEX TO NOTICE
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: UK HUMAN RIGHTS
1. MYANMAR ECONOMIC HOLDINGS PUBLIC COMPANY LTD
a.k.a: (1) MEHL (2) Myanmar Economic Holdings Limited Address: 189/191 Mahaban Doola Road, Corner of 50th Street, Yangon, Myanmar. Other Information: (UK Sanctions List Ref): GHR0080 Names of Director(s)/Management: Commander-in-Chief Senior General Min Aung, Deputy Commander-in-Chief U Soe Win, Lt General Hsan Oo, Lt General Mya Tun Oo, Admiral Tin Aung San, General Maung Maung Kyaw, Lt General (retired) Nyo Saw, Maj General Khin Maung Than, Maj General Moe Myint Htun, Read Admiral Moe Aung, Lt General Htun Aung, Lt General Min Naung, Lt General Aung Lin Dwe, Big General (Ret) Kyaw Htin, Major Ni Aung, Big General (Ret) Kyaw Myo Win, Maj (Retired) Ming Khine, Colonel Myint Swe, Lt General Aye Win, Ultimate beneficial owner(s): Myanmar senior military leadership, units and battalions. (UK Statement of Reasons): Myanmar Economic Holdings Limited (MEHL) is a major Myanmar conglomerate, owned by the Myanmar military and its current and former personnel. Min Aung Hlaing, Myanmar’s Commander in Chief, is the Chair of MEHL’s ‘patron group’, along with other senior ranking Tatmadaw officers. In 2017, MEHL directly contributed to a series of fundraising events, which provided financial support for the Tatmadaw personnel engaged in “clearance operations” against the Rohingya. There are reasonable grounds to suspect that part or all of these funds contributed to operations that resulted in serious human rights violations, including mass unlawful killings, torture, systematic rape and other forms of targeted sexual violence by the Tatmadaw committed in Rakhine State in 2017. In view of the circumstances including the close connections between MEHL and senior members of the Tatmadaw, there are reasonable grounds to suspect that MEHL knew or had reasonable cause to suspect that the funds would or may contribute to the serious human rights violations committed. Further or alternatively, MEHL is associated with the Commander in Chief and Deputy Commander in Chief of the Tatmadaw in view of their connections to MEHL including their positions on the patron group. (Organisation type): Military Holding Company (Subsidiaries): (1) Adipati Agricultural Produce Trading Ltd (2) ASHOK (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Thawka) (3) Aung Thitsa Oo General Insurance Company Limited (4) Aung Thitsa Oo Life Insurance Company Limited (5) Bandoola Transportation Company Inc (6) Berger Paints Manufacturing Limited (7) Bo Aung Kyaw Terminal (8) Cancri (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Phu Sha Star) (9) Da Na Theiddi Kyal (Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Da Na Theiddihi Star and Danatheidi Star (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd) (10) Du Won Kyal (Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Du Won Star and Du Won Star (Gems & Jewellery) Co., Ltd.) (11) Hawk Star (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spellings: Thine Ngat Kyal (Jewellery) Co., Ltd. and Thein Nget Star) (12) Hlaing Inland Terminal and Logistics Co., Ltd. (13) Inndagaw Industrial Complex (14) Kanpauk Oil Palm Estate and Palm Oil Mill Project (KOPP) (15) Kayah State Mineral Production Company Ltd (16) Kone Yar Thi Star (alternate spelling: Aquarii (Gems & Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (17) Lann Pyi Marine Company Ltd (18) Larbathakedi Micro Finance Service Association Inc. (19) Lyrae (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Saung Tar Yar Star) (20) Mon Hsu Jewellery Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Mine Shu) (21) Myanmar Imperial Jade (Gems & Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (22) Myanmar Land and Development Ltd (23) Myanmar Rubber Wood Co., Ltd. (24) Myanmar Ruby Enterprise (Gems & Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (25) Myanmar Tharkaung Finance Co., Ltd. (26) Myawaddy Agricultural Services Col, Ltd (27) Myawaddy Bank Ltd. (28) Myawaddy Clean Drinking Water Service (29) Myawaddy Trading Ltd (30) Myawaddy Travels and Tours Co., Ltd. (31) Myawady Football Club (32) Nawadae Hotel and Tourism Ltd. (33) Ngwe Pin Lei Livestock Breedings and Fisheries Co., Ltd. (34) Ngwe Pin Lei Premium Marine Products Co., Ltd. (35) Ngwe Pinlae Industrial Zone (36) Pone Nyet (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spelling: Pone Nyat and One Nyat (Jewellery) Co., Ltd.) (37) Pyinmabin Industrial Zone (38) Sabai (Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spellings: Sabae (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd., and Jasmine) (39) Seik Ta Ya Kyal (Jewellery) Co., Ltd. (alternate spellings: Si Tra Star, Seik Tra Star and Seiktra Star (Gems and Jewellery) Co., Ltd.) (40) Shwe Gandamar International Trading Ltd (41) Shwe Innwa Gems (Business Reg no):156387282 Listed on: 25/03/2021 Last Updated: 25/03/2021
Ministry for External Relations
25 March 2021