Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Raising concerns of a childcare provider

​​​CEYS responsibilities

CEYS is responsible for the continued quality of care provided by registered Early Years or Childhood settings and childminders. Depending on the nature of your concern, we would either investigate, refer your case or work in partnership with other agencies and departments to resolve the issue.

The Statutory Requirements set out the standards providers must adhere to under the Day Care of Children (Jersey) Law 2002. In addition, the Quality Frameworks provide support on what high quality practice looks like. These documents give guidance on what must be complied with and provided to children cared for. Information about Statutory Requirements and Quality Frameworks can be found on the information for registered providers page.

Safeguarding issues

Safeguarding is about making sure harm, harassment, bullying, abuse and neglect is actively prevented. It's also about being ready to respond safely and well if there is a problem. Creating a safe and welcoming environment, where everyone is respected and valued, is at the heart of safeguarding and it is everyone's responsibility.

Children and Families Hub

If you have a safeguarding or child protection concern about a child in Jersey, contact the Children and Families Hub. The Hub provides a single point of contact for any concerns to do with children in Jersey. It allows for information to be shared quickly and appropriately, so by acting as a team, vulnerable children and young people are kept safe.

Phone Children and Families Hub: +44 (0) 1534 519000

Email the Children and Families Hub

The Children and Families Hub

Allegations against adults

Allegations against adults happen whereby a child or young person is considered at risk of significant harm such as physical, sexual, or emotional abuse or neglect, by someone who works with children or those who are in a position of trust. These can include staff within a setting/school, parents, relatives or others in contact with a child at any point. Anyone with concerns that such situation is taken place should take forward steps.

Jersey Designated Officers (JDO) deal with allegations of abuse made against those working with children and young people. Local Designated Officers can be contacted to discuss or make allegations of abuse of children against all staff and volunteers.

Phone JDO: +44 (0) 1534 443566

Email JDO

If a child or young person is considered to be at risk of significant harm the Independent Safeguarding and Standards (ISS) is responsible for creating a plan to address that risk.

Business or contractual issues

CEYS do not get involved with business or contractual issues between parents and childcare providers such as fees, tax certificates and deposits. To receive advice on your rights as a parent and providers' legal obligations, contact the Jersey Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

Quality of care issues

If you have concerns about the quality of care provided to your child, health and safety issues within a provision, staffing, NEF issues or any other concerns related to the Statutory Requirements, follow the steps below:

  • speak to your childcare provider first about the issue
  • if the issue is not resolved, raise it with the owner (if applicable)
  • if it remains unresolved, contact CEYS

Contacting CEYS

Concerns can be discussed over the phone however complaints must be received in writing to be formally investigated.
Your email should provide as many details as possible and include:

  • the nature of your concern
  • whether the issue has been discussed with your childcare provider (and if not why)
  • if you want to remain anonymous

Keep communications, notes and other evidence to support your concern and help the investigation.
Complaints can be done in confidentiality or anonymously. We will endeavour to respect your wishes but depending on the issue and investigation process, you or your child may be identified.

Email CEYS

Unregistered or unregulated childcare

Childcare is considered unregistered when a person/organisation does not hold registration status. Not all unregistered childcare is illegal.

Childcare becomes illegal when an unregistered person/organisation looks after children for more than 2 hours in any day or 6 days in any year and:

  • parents/carers are not present
  • are not a close relative
  • receive a remuneration or reward
  • are not a nanny or au pair
  • are not regulated by an external body which fulfils the regulatory requirements under the law

Report unregistered or unregulated childcare

If you have concerns or suspect someone, organisation of offering unregulated childcare liaise with us. This can be done via email in confidentiality or anonymously.

Provide the following information where possible:

  • the name of the person offering the service
  • the address where the childcare is taking place
  • the number of children being cared for and their ages
  • any information on payment taking place or reward being received

How unregulated childcare is investigated

Any information given to us will be investigated. To help this process, we may contact:

  • parents of children being cared for
  • Children's Services
  • States of Jersey Police
  • other organisations or Government departments

Evidence of child carers operating illegally may result in prosecution under the Day Care of Children (Jersey) Law, 2002.

Nannies and au pairs issues

CEYS do not get involved with issues between parents and nannies or au pairs. For concerns on accredited nannies, contact the Jersey Childcare Trust.

Concerns about the childcare provider where you work (employees)

As an employee of an Early Years or Childhood setting you may have concerns about the place you work. In the first instance we encourage you to speak to your manager or look at the provision's set of policies and procedures, the relevant Statutory Requirements or the law.  

Business or contractual issues

CEYS do not get involved with business or contractual issues between employees and childcare providers. Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service (JACS) can support and provide guidance to employees in Jersey. 

Safeguarding or quality of care concerns

You may have concerns about the safeguarding of children or adults, quality of care provided and practices at the setting you work or volunteer. These may also arise for another childcare provider. For these types of issues, or any other concerns related to the Statutory Requirements, follow the steps detailed in the 'Quality of care issues' section above.


Whistleblowing happens whereby a person provides information on an individual/organisation regarded as engaging in an unlawful or immoral activity. Whistleblowing can be done in confidentiality or anonymously by contacting CEYS.

How concerns are handled

We will confirm receipt of your complaint or concern within five working days and you will be contacted if further information is required. Progress, outstanding matters or outcome, will be shared within 20 working days and we will continue to update you if required.

All information received will be stored in line with our Privacy Statement.

Compliments, complaints, comments or suggestions about CEYS

The Government of Jersey is committed to providing an excellent service to all. If you would like to submit any type of feedback about the service received by CEYS you can email us or the use our form to give us any compliments, complaints, comments or suggestions about any Government of Jersey department, service or policy.

States of Jersey Complaints Board

If you have contacted CEYS or the Government Feedback Team and are unsatisfied with the response you can contact the States of Jersey Complaints Board. This Panel deals with any complaint about a decision or administration process by any minister or department of the States. Your complaint will be listened to by people who are completely unbiased and impartial.

Back to top
rating button