Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Assessing your child's educational needs

​Why we need assessments

Assessments help us to identify a child's educational needs. 

An assessment looks at: 

  • how your child learns
  • what they have already learned
  • what and how to teach them next
  • how they respond to individual learning programmes
We monitor your child's responses to teaching so we can tailor teaching to how your child is learning. 

How assessments work

Teachers continually complete assessments for all children. They get support from special educational needs co-ordinators (SENCo) and the Inclusion and Early Intervention Team (IEI),
  • supports class and subject teachers to adjust their teaching
  • provides extra assessment
  • co-ordinate extra and different arrangements to address identified needs  
The IEI Team provides:
  • consultation, assessment, training and research services to support pupils and teachers
  • advice about the collection and interpretation of assessment information and how to use it to determine teaching arrangements
  • individual assessment which may involve focused classroom observations or working alongside the pupil in class or on their own 

If we have a concern about your child’s learning

If we have concerns about your child’s learning, closer attention is given to the type and extent of support they need in order to succeed. 

We take into account what they have been able to learn so far and will review all assessment information with you / carers and teachers. 

In many cases, this will lead to new ideas and strategies for school staff and parents to use.

Sometimes a more specialist assessment may be needed by external specialists like:
  • advisory teachers
  • speech and language therapists
  • occupational therapists
  • educational psychologists

Exceptional action assessment

If a previous assessment hasn’t had a successful outcome, an exceptional action assessment is sometimes used to make clear:
  • your child's needs
  • the involvement of other agencies with your child
  • the involvement of other educational provisions with your child
  • the educational arrangements required to meet the identified needs of your child, and the resources required to make these
  • any intervention required from other agencies to meet your child's identified needs

Record of need and what it means

A record of need is required where an exceptional action assessment indicates that we should:​
  • specify your child's needs
  • determine the educational arrangements required to meet the identified needs
  • determine the resources to be allocated to make these arrangements, including possible involvement of other educational provisions
  • specify involvement of external agencies
  • determine the arrangements by which your child’s progress will be monitored ​

How to appeal a record of need

If you wish to appeal the content of the assessment or the educational arrangements offered, you have 15 days in which to make a written appeal to the Education Minister.

If an appeal hearing is necessary your circumstances will be reviewed by an appeals panel.

The panel will be made up of:

  • either the Head of Inclusion or the Principle Educational Psychologist
  • either the Minister or Assistant Minister for Education
  • an independent member of high standing in the community

The decision of the appeals panel is final and you can’t request a further appeal.

However, if you feel you’ve not had a fair hearing, you may complain to the States of Jersey Complaints Board

​It’s up to the board whether or not they accept the case and hold a hearing or not.

Back to top
rating button