Equal opportunities for all children
The Education Department provides equal opportunities to all children so they can access education regardless of their circumstances.
Your child’s teachers will use the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice and the guidelines for Ordinarily Available.
We ensure children are included by:
- providing a welcoming approach to children who have additional needs and their families
- using flexible educational arrangements according to a child’s needs
- monitoring progress to ensure children are meeting their targets
- working towards children achieving high or increasing levels of attendance
- providing extra services and support in a child's school or setting
- ensuring staff access and enjoy high quality special educational needs training
- ensuring staff deliver high quality teaching for all children
- using a step by step approach to meeting their needs
Inclusion Policy in Schools
Concerns about your child’s education
If you have concerns about your child’s education, you should speak to your child's class teacher or form tutor. They’ll discuss your child's needs and explain how they and the school can support you.
If you still have concerns, you should contact your school's Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). They oversee the support services within schools.
If you would prefer to speak with someone outside of school, you should contact the Inclusion & Early Intervention Section at the Education Department.
About the Inclusion and Early Intervention Section (IEI)
Inclusion and Early Intervention includes specialist professionals who provide advice, support and training for all schools and settings in the following areas:
special educational needs
english as an additional language
parenting and family support
autism and social communication
Autism and Social Communication Inclusion Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Early Intervention Family Support Worker Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Education Welfare Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Educational Psychology Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Early Years Area SENCo Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Portage Home Visitors Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Hearing and Deaf Support Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Outdoor Learning Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Parenting Support Service Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Social, Emotional and Mental Health Inclusion Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Visual Impairment Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019
Well-being Team Leaflet for Parents 2018-2019