Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Brexit: Key changes for Islanders, visitors and businesses

In January 2021, our relationship with the EU changed. New rules for Islanders and businesses are in place.

Planning a trip to Europe

To visit any EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you need to:

  • make sure your passport is no older than 10 years and has 6 months validity left on your intended date of arrival. Further information on passport rules for travel to Europe
  • if asked on arrival, provide the reason for your trip and produce documents to support this, such as return tickets and adequate funds
  • check if you need a visa. You can visit and remain in the EU for 90 days in any 180 day period without needing a visa. However, if you want to stay longer, you need to apply for a long-stay visa
  • check if you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some countries to drive or hire a car in Europe. You may also need a 'green card' from your insurance company
  • if you're taking a pet into Europe, meet new requirements and have an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). The original Pet Passport scheme is no longer valid
  • check you have appropriate travel and health insurance before travelling

Living in Jersey as an EU National

If you're an EU National and were living in Jersey before 1 January 2021, and wish to continue living in Jersey, you need to apply to the Jersey-EU Settlement Scheme.

Visiting Jersey

If you're British, Irish or hold settled or pre-settled status you do not need a visa to enter, visit, work, study or settle in Jersey.

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss national you do not need a visa to visit Jersey for up to 6 months. However visitors cannot seek employment or switch into any other immigration category.

Visa and passport requirements for visitors from 2021

Living, working and studying in Europe as a British National

If you're looking to move to the EU, you should check the rules for the country you want to move to on GOV.UK.

Living in country guides on GOV.UK

Students looking to study in the EU should contact their prospective institutions for information on tuition fees. Students can also contact Jersey Student Finance

In all instances British nationals living, working, and studying in Europe are advised to:

  • have the appropriate immigration permission from the relevant country
  • have healthcare insurance
  • make sure their passport has the relevant validity

Trading with Europe

If you import from or export to the EU you need to meet new rules and requirements.

Trading with the EU

Employing EU nationals

All persons who are non-British or Irish require immigration permission to visit, work, study or settle in Jersey. 

Work permits: make an application

Back to top
rating button