Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Photo of gold wedding ring placed on open bookPhoto of gold wedding ring placed on open book

Step 1: apply to convert your civil partnership to a marriage

You, your partner or a wedding planner can apply to convert your civil partnership to a marriage. When you convert your civil partnership to marriage, your civil partnership will no longer exist and you will be recognised as married from the date of your civil partnership.

You will need to:

  • provide all the required documents

  • submit the documents no more than 12 months before the day you want to convert and no less then three days

  • have lived at your place of residence, in Jersey or elsewhere, for at least seven days before you submit your application

If you apply in person and request a conversion declaration form at the same time, you can have conversion to marriage three days later.

You need to apply to the Superintendent Registrar (SIR) to convert your civil partnership to marriage in Jersey. You must be in a valid civil partnership that is recognised in Jersey law.

You need to bring these original documents:

  • civil partnership certificate

  • passport

  • utility bill in both names (dated within 3 months)

  • standard birth certificate of adoption certificate

If you don’t live in Jersey, you need to state on your application whether you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national. If you're not an EU, EEA or Swiss National, we'll give you a letter confirming your provisional booking for marriage. This means that you can then apply to the Home Office to get your marriage visa.

The conversion for marriage are free until the 30 June 2020.

Application for conversion to marriage

Step 2: request a conversion declaration form

Once your application has been approved, you can be given a conversion declaration form between three and 10 days before the day you want to convert.

To issue your conversion declaration form, you and your partner need to visit us to:

  • provide original or certified copies of the required documents that accompanied your application form

  • sign a Signature Verifier Form

  • sign a Declaration of Freedom to Convert to Marriage

We will then produce the conversion declaration form and three copies of your marriage certificate.

Step 3: choose your type of conversion

You can choose how you want to convert. You can either have a full marriage ceremony or sign the documents in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar (administrative conversion) at our office.

Organising marriage ceremony conversion

If you want a marriage ceremony, you need to book the location and the marriage celebrant of your choice.

We will issue your conversion declaration and marriage certificates to your chosen marriage celebrant.

You, your partner and the marriage celebrant will exchange vows and sign the conversion declaration form and the marriage certificates. When you sign these certificates, you'll officially be married. As you're already in a civil partnership, you don't need any witnesses.

After your conversion, the celebrant will give you two copies of the marriage certificate. The conversion declaration form will be placed in the conversion register in the parish where your conversion took place.

Organising an administrative conversion

If you want an administrative conversion, you and your partner need to do the following in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar:

  • make your conversion vows to each other 

  • sign the conversion declaration form

  • sign your marriage certificates

As this will be an administrative conversion, no guests are permitted.

Converted marriage in other countries

Not all countries recognise a converted marriage as a legal marriage. If you want to convert to marriage but are considering living or buying property abroad, you should seek legal advice in the relevant country. 

Back to top
rating button