Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Food safety and hygiene inspections (Eat Safe)

Displaying an Eat Safe sticker - important changes

You must display an Eat Safe sticker from 1 December 2017 if you provide food direct to the public. This includes businesses who prepare and sell food from home.

If your business appears on our Eat Safe page you should display the sticker relevant to the Eat Safe rating for your business.

The only exemptions are: 
  • manufacturers; if the public cannot purchase food directly
  • wholesalers; if the public cannot purchase food directly
  • farms; if the public cannot purchase food directly
  • businesses not required to register with Environmental Health under the Food (Registration of Premises) (Jersey) Order 2001

​​​​Eat Safe inspections

How often we inspect your business depends on its level of risk and complian​ce. We might visit you  every six months or we could visit your business once every five years.

Every registered food business in Jersey gets an Eat Safe food safety audit and star rating, based on compliance with the Jersey food law and the Food Standards Agency's Food Safety Code of Practice. After your business has been inspected you will be given your Eat Safe star rating.

Displaying an Eat Safe star rating

Currently, if your business gets three or more st​ars you can choose to publicly display your star rating. This is to encourage businesses with lower ratings to improve their hygiene practices and aim for a better star rating, which they can then display.​

You can also complete a Food Safety Checklist to help you identify areas of improvement.

The Eat Safe Food Safety Checklist​

How the Eat Safe food safety and hygiene scheme works

Search for food safety and hygiene ratings (Eat Safe)​

Email Environmental Health to get an Eat Safe logo​

Disagreeing with your inspection results or informing us of improvements

You can use the form below to tell us about the efforts you have made to improve or address matters raised during your inspection. This information can then be published on the website alongside your star rating.

You can also request a re-inspection if you've carried out improvements but you'll need wait until three months after your last inspection before you can request another one. You must provide details of the improvements made, including supporting evidence whe​re appropriate.

If you're unhappy with your inspection results, you can appeal.

Eat Safe food and hygiene inspe​ctions form​

Food hygiene legislation and best practice

Food hygiene legislation in Jersey is different to the United Kingdom. The Food Safety (Jersey) Law 1966 deals with many aspects of food hygiene, including:

  • unfit food
  • licensing
  • labelling
  • temperature control​
  • safety
  • imported foods

Food Safety (Jersey) Law 1966 on Jersey Law website

Industry guides to good hy​giene practice on FSA webs​ite​

Meeting outdoor event catering standards​

We inspect outdoor catering events to ensure the vehicles, kiosks and stalls comply with the law.

Outdoor catering presents mo​re opportun​ities for things to go wrong, so particular attention and planning needs to be paid to food hygiene​.

Food Hygiene and Event Catering Guide

Condemnation certificates for unfit food

If your business has food that's not fit to be eaten or sold (eg your freezer breaks down and the food defrosts) your insurance company may need a food condemnation certificate.

Contact Environmental Health if you need a food condemnation certificate. There is a charge for this service, which doesn't include collection or disposal of the food.

The current fee is £68.16 

Back to top
rating button