Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Liquor licences

About liquor licences

You must have a liquor licence if you sell alcohol. It's an offence under Article 78(1) of the Licensing (Jersey) Law 1974 for a person to sell intoxicating liquor unless they hold a licence.

Access a copy of the Licensing (Jersey) Law 1974 on the Jersey Law website.

Who can apply for a licence

You can apply for a licence if you're either:

  • an individual
  • a limited liability company
  • a club
  • an association

Renewing your licence

Your licence expires annually on 24 December. You must renew your licence between the 5 October and 5 November.

Late applications between the 6 November and 14 December are accepted subject to payment of an additional fee of £200.

Liquor licence renewal application

Once your form is submitted you'll receive a fee payment notification email. Payments can only be made by credit or debit cards. You can contact the Hospitality and Leisure Manager to arrange an alternative payment method.

When we've received your renewal payment, we’ll email you a revalidated authorized copy of your original liquor licence. This must be displayed at the main entrance of your premises.

Apply for a new licence

Complete the online form to apply for a new liquor licence. You'll need to provide information including:

  • business models or plans
  • floor plans
  • external al fresco areas

This documentation can be uploaded as part of the online process.

Liquor licence application

Once your form is submitted you'll receive a fee payment notification email. Payments can only be made by credit or debit cards. You can contact the Hospitality and Leisure Manager to arrange an alternative payment method.

Provisional licence

You can apply for a provisional licence. These can only be accepted if you provide:

  • the plans of the premises
  • evidence that such consents for the construction or adaptation of the premises, as may be required under any enactment, has been obtained. For example, a building permit has been issued by Infrastructure, Housing and Environment under the building by-laws for work to commence

Types of licences

​Establishment type
Licence type required​
​Public houses (pubs)
​Hotels and guest houses
​Premises run as restaurants
​A limited number of hotels
​Private sporting or social clubs
​Traditional off-licences:
  • general stores or newsagents selling alcohol along with groceries and other goods
  • premises selling alcohol to the wholesale market
  • premises selling alcohol to individuals after wine tasting
​Places of entertainment:
  • theatres
  • cinemas
  • night clubs
  • others

Fees and refunds

Your licence fee depends on the type of licence you apply for and its expiry date.​

If you want different types of licences for the same premises, you must pay a separate fee for each type.

If your licence expires within 6 months of its start date, the licence fee will be halved.​​


If your licence application is refused or withdrawn, the fee you paid will be refunded.

​Licence type
​£434 plus £1.07 multiplied by the maximum number of persons allowed on your premises at any one time
​£1.07 multiplied by the number of approved residents (£136 minimum fee)
​£1,082 plus £2.15 multiplied by the number of approved residents
​Club licence
​Entertainment (a) (cinemas and theatres)
​Entertainment (b) (places other than cinemas and theatres)
£1.07 multiplied by the number of persons mentioned on the permit in respect of the premises (£434) minimum fee)

When to apply and deadlines

You can apply for a licence at any time of the year. However, the Licensing Assembly only meets in:

  • March
  • June
  • September
  • December

For your application to be heard at our next meeting it must be with us no later than the fifth day of the month before the month the Licensing Assembly's meeting.

If the fifth of the month falls on a weekend or a public holiday, your application form must be with us before close of business on the last working day before that date.

​Licensing Assembly's meeting
​Deadline for applications
5 February​
​5 May
​5 August
​5 November

Other inspections required or registrations

Once we receive your application we'll notify the Fire and Rescue Services and Environmental Health.

If you make an application for a grant of license, the Constable of the relevant parish may request the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service and Environmental Health to inspect your premises.

When deciding whether an application should be granted, the Licensing Assembly shall have regard to the suitability of the premises and the outcome of its inspections.

Jersey Fire and Rescue Service

As part of your application process you may need an inspection by the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service.

You must make a formal application to have your premises inspected. The cost of the inspection is set out in the application form.

Email the Jersey Fire and Rescue Team

Toilet requirements

As part of the application process you may need an inspection by Environmental Health.

This inspection will look at the:

  • general state and condition of your premises
  • the sanitary provisions you must comply with the requirements of licensed premises

Toilet ​requirements for licensed premises and places of refreshment document

If you food business is new, you must also register your business under the Food (Registration of Premises) (Jersey) Order.

Application form for registration of food premises

Email the Environmental Health Team

Back to top
rating button