Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Licences to sell refreshments

​​​Registration as a place of refreshment

If you have, or are planning to open a place of refreshment, you may need to register for a licence under the Places of Refreshment (Jersey) Law 1967. 

A place of refreshment can be:

  • a restaurant
  • a café
  • a snack bar
  • a tea shop
  • a canteen
  • any other place which sells meals or refreshments

You do not need to register if you:

  • sell only ice cream and non-alcoholic drinks
  • already have a licence issued under the Licensing (Jersey) Law 1974
  • are registered under the Tourism (Jersey) Law 1948
  • are part of a school serving refreshments to teachers and pupils only 
  • are part of a workplace serving refreshments to employees only

Apply for a licence

Places of Refreshment (Jersey) Law 1967 on Jersey Law website

Email the Hospitality and Leisure Manager

Annual renewal and fees

You must renew your registration every year and pay the fee (which is reviewed annually) and a notification will be sent when your renewal is due.

The fee as of 1 January 2023 is £97.

Other registrations or inspections required

When your application is received, the Fire and Rescue Service and Environmental Health will be notified.

If you are opening a place of refreshment you must also make contact with these two departments.

Your licence will be issued subject to approval by the Fire and Rescue Service and Environmental Health.

Jersey Fire and Rescue Service

As part of the registration process you may need an inspection by the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service.

You must make a formal application to have your premises inspected.  The cost of the inspection is set out in the application form.

Application form for an inspection of a place of refreshment

Email the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service

Environmental Health

As part of the registration process under the Places of Refreshment (Jersey) Law 1967, your premises will be inspected by Environmental Health.

Additionally, you must also register your business with Environmental Health under the Food (Registration of Premises) (Jersey) Order.

Application form for registration of food premises

Email the Environmental Health Team​

Back to top
rating button