Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Trading on a beach or slipway

Can I run a business on a beach or slipway?

In certain circumstances businesses can trade on a beach and slipway .

You must have a licence to trade from the Regulatory Improvement and Licensing section of Infrastructure, Housing and Environment.

Before making an application for a licence you should contact the Hospitality and Leisure Manager for advice.

Email the Hospitality and Leisure Manager

Apply to trade on a beach or slipway

Policing of Beaches (Jersey) Regulations 1959 on the Jersey Law website

If you're setting up a new business, Jersey Business provide free, confidential advice. They will help you to:

  • decide which entity to trade as (eg sole trader, partnership or limited company)
  • set up your business
  • evaluate your business idea
  • understand your requirements
  • be aware of any additional licences your business may legally require

Find advice on the Jersey Business website​

How long is the licence for and is there a fee? 

The licence is for one year and is renewable.

The annual fee depends on the activity of the business. The scale of the fees is shown in the application form.

A reminder and renewal form will be sent to you before your current licence expires.

Do I need any other permissions?

To start a business in Jersey you must have a business licence. Contact the Population Office for more information.

Email the Population Office

If your business involves water-based activities, you must contact the Ports of Jersey.

Ports of Jersey website

If your business sells refreshments and ice creams, you must contact Environmental Health.

Email Environmental Health

Back to top
rating button