You can comment and contribute to the Stage 1 consultation of the Island Plan 2021 to 2030.
About the Island Plan Review
Work is underway on the Island Plan 2021 to 2030, which will help shape Jersey’s future.
The new Island Plan will set out and plan for the island’s positive growth over the next ten years and provide the framework against which planning decisions are made. The plan is key to delivering sustainable development; balancing the future economic, environmental and social needs of the island in a way that is best for Jersey and which reflects the vision and aspirations of islanders.
The States Assembly adopted the current Island Plan in 2011. Much has changed since then and there is a need to evidence and respond to current economic, environmental and social challenges faced by the island. The review will need to consider how best to deal with:
- the need for homes
- safeguarding the environment
- supporting the economy
- mitigating the impacts of climate change
- responding to our ageing population
- securing good design and creating better places
We are aiming for a new plan to be adopted in 2021.
The review process
Reviewing the Island Plan is a big task involving several stages in order to develop a plan that is based on evidence and which has engaged islanders.
We are at the first stage of reviewing the Island Plan. If you want the process, more details of which are available on the strategic issues and options consultation page.
The draft Island Plan, which will include detailed draft polices, plans and proposals, will be subject to extensive public consultation before being considered by an independent planning inspector at an Examination in Public. The inspector will submit a report to the Minister for the Environment who will lodge a revised draft Island Plan for States approval.
Island Plan Review timeline
We are currently at Stage 1 of the process.
Island Plan 2021 to 2030: process timeline
|Stage 1: Scoping and research|
- Scope and develop the evidence base requirements
- Commission reports and studies
- Explore initial strategic issues and options
- Develop Sustainability Appraisal
|Summer 2019 |
- Issues and options paper published
- Consultation on issues and options
|Stage 2: Develop draft Island Plan |
- Consider consultation responses to issues and options
- Undertake Sustainability Appraisal
- Review evidence base
- Evaluate options
- Develop draft plan
|Autumn 2019||Call for sites|
|Early 2020||Reports and studies published|
|Stage 3: Independent examination |
- Independent inspector's review of initial draft Island Plan, consultation responses, evidence base and Sustainability Appraisal
- Examination in public
- Consider independent inspector's report and finalise draft Island Plan
|Mid 2020 |
- Initial draft Island Plan published
- Consultation on draft Island Plan
|Late 2020 |
- Independent examination in public
- Inspector's report published
|Stage 4: States approval |
- Lodged for States debate
- States debate and adopt Island Plan
- Island Plan 2021 to 2030 becomes new policy for planning decisions
- Draft Island Plan published
- Adopted Island Plan published