Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Ground or air source heat pumps (permissions)

​Planning permission

Installing a ground or air-source heating system will not require planning permission, provided: 

  • the property is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP)
  •  in the case of an air pump where the installation is to be located on a principal elevation the building is not in a conservation area (CA)
  • the highest point of the installation must be no more than 2.5 metres above ground level
  • where the works are on agricultural land the depth of every pipe must be more than 1 metre below ground level. Any top soil removed for the purpose of installation must be re-instated to the original land level
  • no previous permit states that permission is required

Is my building or site listed?
Generating energy (environment and greener living section)
Making an application - planning

Building permission

You will not need to make a building application to install a ground or air source heat pump:

  • provided that the work is undertaken by a person who is registered under an approved scheme to undertake such work
  • this department must be notified at completion of the work by the approved scheme provider

You should also receive a certificate of bye-law compliance from the scheme provider.

Approved schemes for certifiable building work

What if I want to use a non-registered installer to undertake the work?

If you choose not to use a person registered under an approved scheme, you will need to make a building application directly to this department.

B1 building permission application form

Back to top
rating button