Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Gas / oil fired boilers, vents and flues (permissions)

​​Planning permission

You will not require planning permission to install a gas or oil fired boiler at your house or flat unless:

  • the property is registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP) or
  • if the land on which your property sits, falls within an area of archaeological potential (AAP) or a conservation area (CA)

However you may require planning permission for your associated gas or oil storage tank and for any vent, chimneys or flue on the outside of the building.

Vents, chimneys and flues will not normally require planning permission provided that:

  • the property is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP)
  • no previous planning permit stated that permission is required
  • the vent, chimneys or flue installed on a roof does not project more than 1.5 metres above the roof plane
  • any vent, chimneys or flue installed on a wall must not protrude more than 30 cm from the wall, or protrude more than 1.5 meters above the eave or roof plane
  • any vent, chimneys or flue must not terminate within 2.5 meters of a window or door of a neighbouring house or flat

Listed buildings, sites and structures
Gas and oil storage tanks

Building permission

As long as your gas or oil fired boiler is fitted by an approved registered technician, building permission will not be required. Approved technicians include:

  • OFTEC registered technicians for oil boilers (Oil Firing Technical Association registered installer)
  • Gas safe registered engineers for gas boilers

Both Gas safe and OFTEC technicians are approved to carry out such work without making an application, provided they notify the department via their registration body of the work done. You should also be provided with a certificate from the technician's registration body confirming the work has been done in accordance with the bye-law requirements aimed at ensuring the appliance operates safely.

You can find a local registered Gas safe or OFTEC installer in Jersey by visiting their websites.

OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association registered installer)

Gas safe register of gas engineers

Approved schemes for certifiable building work bye-law 
Oil pollution prevention leaflet

What if I want to use a non-registered installer to undertake the work?

If you employ an installer who is not registered with OFTEC or Gas safe, you will need to make a building application and provide details of works so that safety checks can be made.

Technical guidance document 3 (2011 edition)

B4 solid fuel fire, stove and heating boiler application form 

Back to top
rating button