Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Licensing and entertainment: fire safety requirements

Inspections of licensed premises

If you apply to the Treasurer of the States for a liquor licence, you will need an inspection and report by the States of Jersey Fire and Rescue Service under the Licensing (Jersey) Law 1974. 

Licensed premises include:

  • restaurants
  • nightclubs
  • public houses
  • tourist accommodation
The fire service regularly carries out night time inspections to check that premises are safe and that escape routes are fit for use at all times.​

How to apply for an inspection of licensed premises

If you apply for a liquor licence you will need the premises inspected by the Fire and Rescue Service.  It is therefore necessary to make a formal application to the Chief Fire Officer at least 10 working days before the Parish Assembly at which your application for a liquor licence will be considered.  The fee for the inspection and report is detailed on the application form. 

Fire safety requirements for holding a public entertainment event

If you plan to hold an event, you need to apply for a permit from the Bailiff of Jersey.

One of the conditions of the permit is that all reasonable fire and safety precautions are made and maintained according to Fire and Rescue Service regulations.  

‘During performance’ inspections are carried out to check on fire safety measures and to check that adequate escape routes are provided and secure at all times.

Licensing public entertainment (leisure and entertainment section)

Back to top
rating button