Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Tax Identification Numbers: an introduction


​From tax reference to TIN

The move to the new Revenue Management System means that we have introduced the internationally recognised 10 digit Tax Identification Number (TIN), which will in time replace Jersey Tax Reference Numbers.

The introduction of TINs brings Jersey in line with international tax practice, increasing the level of security offered by the identification number, and ensuring that every individual has their own identity.

What will happen next

In the coming months you'll start to notice your TIN appearing on all future correspondence from Revenue Jersey. When you see this you can use it for correspondence and payments.

If you don't have any correspondence with your new TIN, you can continue to use your existing tax reference when you contact us.

Every individual currently holding a Jersey tax record will be given a TIN, including spouses and civil partners who at present don't have their own unique tax reference number.

This means that spouses or civil partners that would have previously received a joint effective rate will now start to receive their own copy of their effective rate notice which will also include their own TIN.

About TINs

A TIN is a 10 digit unique, secure number used to identify you for tax purposes. It will, over time, replace the Tax Reference Number.

TINs are widely used around the world so our use of them will help bring Jersey’s tax system in line with international best practice. 

Who will have a TIN

Our new computer system, RMS, has created a TIN for every individual on the island. Spouses and civil partners who do not currently have their own Tax Reference Number, will get their own TIN.

In future, all children will have a TIN assigned as part of the ‘Tell us Once’ process for birth registration and it will stay with them throughout their life.

How you will be assessed if you're married or have a civil partner

You will still be taxed as a married couple/civil partnership.

‘Spouse A’ or ‘Civil partner A’ will receive the tax assessment and effective rate notice, now known as an instalment rate notice, as normal and ‘Spouse B’ or ‘Civil partner B’ will also receive their own copy of the instalment rate notice, which will carry their own unique TIN.

These instalment rate notices will now be printed and sent by post separately as each unique TIN is classed as ‘personal data’ for data protection purposes.

If you're employed

Employers will continue to use Tax Reference Numbers until 2020, when online tax filing is introduced. The slip at the bottom of your instalment rate notice still has your Tax Reference Number for you to hand to your employer.

Paying your tax bill

If you want to make an Automatic Telephone Payment (ATP), you will need to use your TIN. If you want to make a payment using another method, you can use either your TIN or existing Tax Reference Number.

Back to top
rating button