Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

File your personal tax return

File your tax return online

2022 online personal tax return

You'll need your digital ID and a onegov account.

Make sure you have all your paperwork you need to complete the return before you start.

Tax return checklist

Sometimes, the hardest part of filing your return is getting all your paperwork together. Print out our handy checklist to help.

Tax return checklist

Online tax return demonstration

See how easy it is to complete your tax return online.

Watch an employed example on YouTube

Watch a pensioner example on YouTube


Filing online

If you or your tax agent files online, the deadline is midnight 31 July.

Filing by paper

If you or your tax agent files on paper, the deadline is midnight 31 May.

Filing a missing tax return for a previous year

If you've received a default assessment or need to file a missing tax return for a previous year, you can submit your return online.

Don't file another return if you've already filed one for that year.

If you realise you've made a mistake on your return, use our Personal Tax Enquiry form to provide your details and tell us about any error that's been made.

2021 online personal tax return

2020 online personal tax return

2019 online personal tax return

If you can't file online you'll need to request or print a paper tax return.

If you need to file a tax return for 2018 or earlier you'll need to request paper returns.

When you cannot file online

At the moment you still have to file a paper return:

Online tax return troubleshooting

Find help to solve the most common issues with completing your online return.

​​Tax return not saved as expected
​When you save your return you'll be automatically sent an email with a link in it. When you come back to complete the form make sure you access it by clicking on the link in the email. Alternatively click on the history tab on your onegov account.

Don't use the 'File your return' link on this page or the 'Personal income tax return' link on your onegov account because it will start the return again and you'll lose your previous progress. 
​We've been unable to match you with a Tax Identification Number (TIN) message displayed
​If you're the primary taxpayer please contact Revenue Jersey on +44 (0) 1534 440300. You'll need to give us your title, full name including any middle names, date of birth, JY number and an email to contact you.

We deal with these as quickly as we can.

If you're not the primary taxpayer you can't complete the online return.
​Completing someone else's tax return

You can't complete the return for someone else.​

You can only complete your return as the 'primary taxpayer' using the identity you logged in with.

Primary taxpayer information for married couples and civil partners
​​Reviewing the return before submitting it

​​To review what you've entered use the 'back' button at the bottom left hand side of each page or click on the tabs at the top of the page.

Once you have submitted the return you get a confirmation email and a pdf copy of the return. You can also see a history of all your forms under the history tab of your onegov account.

​Can't see all the information entered
Some sections in the form (for example property income) are too large to display in a simple view. These boxes have a scroll bar underneath which you can move left to right to see all the information.
​Nowhere to add extra comments
The tax return has been designed to gather all the information we need to assess your tax with most cases going through automatically without an officer review. If you need to tell us anything else, send it separately to Revenue Jersey using the personal tax enquiry form.

Married and civil partnership filing information

If you're married or in a civil partnership and not Independently Taxed the primary taxpayer is responsible for filing the return and declaring the income for both people.

How tax works for married couples and civil partners

Paper tax returns

For questions on how to submit your a paper tax return, see our paper return guidance notes.

Paper returns need to be received by 31 May of each year.

Post your paper return to:

Revenue Jersey
PO Box 56
St Helier

Corporate tax returns

If you're filing a corporate tax return you need to register for corporate return online filing.

Corporate return online filing

Partnership tax returns

If you're filing your Partnership Combined Notification you need to register for online filing.

Partnership combined notification online filing

Completing your return correctly


You should have all your tax paperwork to hand when you complete your return. This may include:

  • payslips
  • pension advice letters
  • receipts for tax deductible expenses
  • bank statements
  • loan interest certificates
  • your child's social security number
  • childcare certificates
You don't submit the paperwork with your return, but you should keep it for 6 years in case you're asked to supply the supporting information.

Checking your return

All your income and claims for deductions or allowances must be true, complete and correct.

Before you submit your return check the following:

  • you've completed the section about residency correctly 
  • you've ticked the box if you're married or in a civil partnership and claiming the married / civil partnership exemption threshold
  • the income you are declaring is correct (for example if you're employed your taxable income should be the same as the gross taxable income figure on your payslips)
  • you've declared all your taxable income (for example in addition to employment income you also had income from renting a room in your own home)
  • you're only claiming expenses that you are entitled to claim (for example if you're self-employed don't claim for anything which is for your own personal use and therefore not a business expense)
  • you're only claiming allowances you are entitled to claim (for example if you're claiming child allowance you have a child you're entitled to claim)

Complete your return carefully. If you have been careless or deliberately concealed income from us you will get a penalty. 

Penalties for inaccurate declarations

Back to top
rating button