Avoid and report internet scams and phishing
Revenue Jersey will never:
- ask you for your online password or activation PIN
- ask you for any personal or financial information in an unsolicited email or telephone call
- ask you to pay by any method other than those specified on our payment information web pages
Phishing emails and texts
Phishing is the fraudulent act of emailing or texting someone to get their personal or financial information.
These emails or texts will often include links to fake websites or include bogus telephone contact numbers where you will be encouraged to provide your personal details.
Information about scams on States of Jersey Police website
Report a phishing attempt on Action Fraud website
Suspicious activities on your tax account
If you experience any of these, be suspicious and report it:
- an unexpected email for an online return you've not filed
- any email or text appearing to be from Revenue Jersey telling you to claim a repayment by clicking on a link or by calling a telephone number
- any unsolicited telephone call, email or text asking you for log in or password information to any of our tax services
- you stop receiving expected and routine correspondence from Revenue Jersey
If you need to report any suspicious activity on your tax account, call Revenue Jersey immediately.
Phishing attacks aimed at other jurisdictions
You'll sometimes see phishing emails or texts aimed at people who file in the UK or other countries.
These messages are sent to thousands of people and they all have one thing in common, trying to obtain personal or account information.
Do not reply to these emails or texts.
Examples of HMRC related phishing
IRS tax scams and consumer alerts
Genuine Revenue Jersey contacts
Online filing confirmation email
Once you've submitted your online personal tax return you'll get an email acknowledgement confirming safe receipt. It doesn't request any details from you and it won't tell you about any refunds or payment of tax.
Effective rate notice
This is a paper notification sent during the year by Revenue Jersey. They are sent to the address we hold on our records and include the calculation of your rate and a slip at the bottom with your effective percentage rate to hand to your employer.
Tax assessment notice
This is a paper notification sent out after we have dealt with your tax return and includes the amount of tax and long-term care you've been charged on the front and the calculation on the back.
This is a paper notification that's sent out if you haven't filed your return. It includes an estimate of your tax, any penalties and tells you what you need to do next.
We will periodically write out to a large group of people. These letters will sometimes require you to contact us. The contact details on the letters will be the same as those we publish on our website or in the local directory. You will be able to independently check any genuine contact details.