Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Interest tax relief and change of property use

​Change of use of property from main residence to commercial letting

Relief for main residence

You will get a relief in your income tax assessment for interest paid on a loan taken out to buy your main residence. This is subject to the conditions laid out in Article 90AA of the legislation.

Relief for commercially let property

If a property is brought to be let commercially, relief for interest paid on that loan will be granted under Article 90AB.

Main residence changing to commercially let property

If you move out of your main residence then let it on a commercial basis, the interest paid on the loan to purchase the residence does not fall within the specific provisions of Article 90AB Relief in respect of interest payments: commercial letting. 

Revenue Jersey's practice is to allow relief for the interest paid on a loan that was previously allowable within Article 90AA, as if it now qualifies under Article 90AB, subject to the restrictions that apply within Article 90AB.

Article 90AA - Income Tax (Jersey) Law 1961 on Jersey Law website

Back to top
rating button