Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri


About classification codes

If you import or export goods into or out of the Customs Union, you must classify those goods for customs purposes. Every product has a specific classification code, otherwise known as a commodity code.

This classification code determines the amount of Customs Duty you will pay on imported goods.

You can use the UK Global Tariff to classify your goods to the appropriate code that you will need to import or export your goods.  

You will also be able to view the following material in the UK Global Tariff:

  • suspension of duties
  • tariff quotas
  • tariff preferences
  • anti-dumping measures

UK Global Tariff code changes

Classification code changes can happen at any time during the year with little notice. You can check to see if your classification codes will change in the UK Global Tariff by changing the reference date.

Classifying your goods on

Get help with a difficult classification

If you still cannot find the right commodity code for your goods, you can contact HMRC for advice or for a decision on your goods. You can do this in two ways.

Informal advice

You can use HMRC's Tariff Classification Service to get non-legally binding classification advice. HMRC will respond to your email within 5 working days. Use this method for a quick and informal decision.

Formal legally binding decision

You can apply for a Binding Tariff Information decision. This is a legally binding decision on the commodity code to use for your goods and can take between 30 and 60 days to be processed. Use this method if:

  • your goods are hard to classify and informal advice is inappropriate for you or your business
  • your goods are a new type
  • you need a longer lasting and legally binding decision for your goods

World Customs Organisation

Other material about classifying your goods for customs purposes is available from the World Customs Organisation.

Trader and personal import guidance


Where goods are imported from a place outside the Customs Union by a GST registered trader or Approved General Importer, a declaration will need to be submitted by the trader by logging into their account on the Customs declaration and payment website. The below guidance notes will assist with the declaration process. 

Guide for businesses - Third Country imports

Where goods are imported from within the Customs Union, the below guidance notes will assist with the declaration process. 

Guide for businesses - UK imports

Personal imports

Declarations can be made in advance of the arrival of goods in order to speed up the customs clearance process. The below guidance notes will assist with this process.

Third Country Pre-arrival Declaration Guide

UK Pre-arrival Declaration Guide

Back to top
rating button