Importing and using caravans and motorhomes in Jersey
The importation and use of caravans, motorhomes, campervans, folding campers and trailer tents in Jersey is controlled and specific conditions must be met by visitors and residents. All travellers are required to obtain a relevant permit or a letter of authority from Jersey’s Department of the Environment prior to travelling on Condor Ferries.
Visitors staying at campsites
Visitors to Jersey are welcome to bring a caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent to the Island provided a permit is obtained prior to arrival in Jersey and the following conditions are adhered to:
- visitors must stay on a registered campsite
- the maximum stay on the Island is 31 days
- the maximum permissible width of a caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent, including the towing vehicle, is 2.3 meters (this includes any fitting on or attached to the vehicle, but excludes mirrors and indicators)
- the permit must be displayed in the window of the caravan, motorhome or towing vehicle for the duration of the visit
Other specific conditions
Caravans, folding campers and trailer tents:
- must remain on a registered campsite for the duration of the visit
- are restricted to one journey to and one journey from the campsite to the port while in the Island
- the maximum permissible overall length of a towed caravan, not including the "A" frame or tow hitch, is 6.7 metres
- the maximum permissible overall length of a caravan and its towing vehicle is 16.5 metres, this includes any projection to the front and rear of the vehicle
Motorhomes and campervans:
- motorhomes and campervans can be driven on Jersey roads providing they return to a registered campsite each night if they are being used for overnight accommodation
- the maximum permissible overall length of a motorhome or campervan is 9.3 metres
You'll be provided with the required permit when you make your reservation with 1 of Jersey registered campsites.
List of registered campsites in Jersey
Caravan holidays on the Visit Jersey website
Visitors not staying at campsites
- any visitor wishing to bring their motorhome or campervan to the Island and stay at a private address, for example with friends or family, or in tourist accommodation other than a registered campsite must obtain a permit. It is not permitted to use a motorhome or campervan for overnight accommodation other than on a registered campsite. To obtain a permit email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1534 448132
- a motorhome or campervan in transit between the UK and France and not staying in Jersey overnight will be permitted to circulate on Jersey’s roads provided a valid permit is obtained. To obtain a permit email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1534 448132
- visitors should note that Jersey campsites do not have 'drive over' drains for black water sewage
- visitors should be aware that many of Jersey's roads are narrow and may have limited access
Residents using or buying caravans or motorhomes
Jersey residents wishing to bring a caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent to Jersey are required to obtain a letter of authority from the Department of the Environment prior to travelling on Condor Ferries.
Once the caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent is on the Island, the Jersey resident is required to obtain a relevant Planning and Building Law permit, and in the case of a motorhome or campervan, register the vehicle with the States of Jersey Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) office as soon as possible after arriving on the Island and before applying for a permit.
Jersey residents should be aware that the relevant permit will set out the following conditions:
- the caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent cannot be used for habitable purposes while in the Island
- that the Department of the Environment are informed if the caravan, motorhome, campervan, folding camper or trailer tent is sold or disposed of by the permit holder
- the permit holder is or taking up permanent resident of the Island
- the caravan, folding camper or trailer tent is kept out of public sight whilst in the Island
- Jersey registration plates are displayed on motorhomes and campervans at all times
To receive a letter of authority before travelling on Condor Ferries email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1534 445508.
To find out more about the motorhome and campervan registration process email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1534 448600.
Changes in ownership, name or address
So that revised permit and registration documents can be issued, changes in ownership, name or address must be reported to:
Caravan or motorhome application form
Information for registered camp sites and travel operators only
The following online form is for use by registered camp sites and travel operators only.