Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Parking fines

​​There are a number of things you should do to avoid getting a parking fine.

If you are using paycards, make sure you:

  • complete them with the actual arrival time and correct date 
  • clearly display them on the dashboard of your car with all the details on the front of each paycard visible.
  • ensure they are not overlapping or partially hidden behind an obstruction such as the black strip found at the bottom of the windscreen
  • put enough paycards on the dashboard to cover the duration of your stay
  • know what time your paycards expire and return to your car before this time
  • do not exceed the maximum permitted stay for that car park

If you are using PayByPhone, make sure you:

  • have entered your registration number correctly (including the J prefix if driving a Jersey vehicle)
  • have paid for the correct location
  • have entered the correct time
  • have received confirmation your parking session has started
  • have ensured your session has not expired

You should also make sure that you park fully in a marked bay without any wheels overlapping either line at the side of the bay. Do not park on a yellow hatch area or block another vehicle or pedestrian exit.

Do not use a marked disabled parking bay unless you have a valid disabled driver badge clearly on display. Display your arrival time with a time clock.

If you use a parking disc, make sure you indicate the time you arrived and display it clearly on your dashboard.

Do not park a commercial vehicle which is longer than 15 foot, boat, trailer or anything else that isn't a vehicle in a public car park.

How to pay a fine that was issued in a public car park or on a road

To pay a parking fine you can:

  • go in person to the parking control office at Sand Street car park and pay:

                by cash

                by debit / credit card 

                by cheque made payable to "The Treasurer of the States"

  • telephone the parking control office at Sand Street car park quoting the notice reference
  • post a cheque made payable to "The Treasurer of the States" addressed to the parking control office at Sand Street car park quoting the notice reference
  • using our online parking fine payments facility

Pay parking fines online

Parking fine charges

A parking fine (excess charge / fixed penalty) in a car park is £60, but if payment is received within three working days of the notice being issued it is reduced to £40.

A parking notice for an offence committed on a road in St Helier is £40 or £100 depending on the offence committed. Other parishes may have different rates for parking offences.

Non-payment of parking fines

If you don't pay, a reminder letter will be sent out you / the registered keeper of the vehicle which has been booked.

If payment is still not received a summons will be issued 28 days after the original notice was issued. You will not receive a further reminder before the summons arrives.

If a summons is issued you will have to pay an administration cost (£45) as well as the fine. The maximum a magistrate can fine is up to £1,000 per offence.

If someone else was driving your car when it was issued a parking fine

The driver of the vehicle at the time the offence was committed is liable to pay any fines. If you are the registered owner of the vehicle but you were not driving it, you must supply the name and address of the person who was.

How to appeal

If you feel you have grounds to appeal a parking fine, you have to write to either:

  • the parking control office at Sand Street car park
  • the parish for on road fines

The address of the issuing authority can be found in the top right hand corner on the notice. 

You should give full details of why you feel the notice was issued incorrectly. Any evidence you may wish to use supporting your appeal must be submitted with your letter.

An appeal is likely to be unsuccessful if you have failed to:

  • indicate correct information such as arrival time or date
  • display your paycards clearly (some details ​have been obscured or facing downwards)
  • return to your vehicle within the purchased time
  • return to your vehicle within the maximum permitted time in a short stay car park
  • park your vehicle fully within a marked parking bay
Back to top
rating button