About the Skills Coaching service
The Skills Coaching service is a voluntary and impartial service which aims to support young people by understanding where the world of work links with academic learning. This is achieved through one-to-one skills coaching and work insights.
Skills coaches will support young people by:
- exploring interests and aspirations
- identifying strengths
- setting goals and new challenges
- arranging work insights to identify interests for a future work placement
- developing employability skills for the future
- identifying, managing and overcoming any barriers to progress into the world of work
- discover pathways and options for the future
- offering additional support during key transition periods such as primary, secondary, 16+ and 18+ provisions
Benefits from Skills Coaching:
- understanding the important link between education and industry
- work insights: 30 minute or 60 minute visit to an employer
- using the work insights to identify interests for a future work placement
- identifying, managing and overcoming barriers to progress into the world of work
- input and contribution to multi-agency meetings
- an impartial service which compliments education plans and strategies for young people
- additional support during key transition processes (primary, secondary, post 16 and 18 provisions)
Meetings, work insights and core subjects
We meet with our young people every one to two weeks to build a relationship and explore future aspirations and industry areas of interest. Meetings are flexible and can be held at school, Skills Jersey offices or anywhere the young person feels most comfortable.
We will arrange work insights by connecting with employers for young people to explore their industry area(s) of interest and how these relate to subjects and skills learnt in the classroom.
Supporting young people with their wellbeing
In the interest of the young person’s wellbeing, we will work in partnership with specialist services or sign post accordingly.
Making a referral for a young person
1. Before making a referral you must complete the parent or guardian permission form here.
Skills Coaching Parent or Guardian Permission form
The form once complete should be sent via email to SkillsCoaches@gov.je.
2. To continue the referral for a young person, complete the online Skills Coach referral form:
Skills coach referral form
For further information on how the Skills Coaching service can support education providers and employers can be found here.
Skills Coaching education provider information
Skills Coaching employers information
Skills Coaching young people information
Skills Coaching Programmes
Skills coaches can deliver specific group or individual programmes at request. For more information, contact us.
Send us your feedback
If you had any involvement with our service, you can complete our online feedback form. This will help us improve and deliver the best service to our clients.
Skills Coaching client survey
Skills Coach professional survey