Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Financing post-graduate courses (student finance)

​Professional qualifications (eg PGCE, legal courses)​

We offer financial assistance towards certain one or two-year postgraduate professional qualifications that are a pre-requisite to going into a profession, for example:

  • PGCE
  • Diploma in Social Work
  • Legal Practice Course (LPC)
  • Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)

These are funded in the same way as an undergraduate award. 

How to apply

To apply for funding towards a professional qualification, you'll need to complete the HE1 form online below.  

Applications should be submitted by 31 March in the year you plan to begin your course. ​

Within a month of submitting your application, you'll receive either an approval letter with an income statement or a letter letting you know you're not eligible for funding. 

If you're asked to submit an income statement, you'll be told the exact amount of funding you'll get by August of the year you plan to begin your course. 

Jersey Bursary

​If you want to undertake a full-time​ postgraduate master's degree or a doctorate, you can apply for the Jersey Bursary. 

This is a non-means test, competitive award of up for £10,000 per year. Up to 12 bursaries are awarded each year. 

If you've received a grant for study at master's level, you can apply for funding for study at doctorate level. 

You can also apply for a bursary if you've raised enough money for the year of the course you're currently on but not for remaining years, as applications can be made for any academic year of study or research. 

Eligibility criteria​

You and your parents must have been resident in Jersey for five years immediately before 31 August of the first year of the course, or would have been resident if your parents are, or were, temporarily employed outside the Island. 

If you haven't lived in Jersey for five years before 31 A​ugust of the first year of the course, but you have lived in Jersey for at least 12 months before 31 August, you might qualify if you possess "Entitled" status. 

You must also:

  • ​have been accepted, either firmly or provisionally, an offer from a university / college to undertake a course of postgraduate study
  • have achieved a minimum of an upper second class honours degree (2:1)

How to apply for the Jersey Bursary

To apply for funding towards a full-time​ postgraduate master's degree or a doctorate, you'll need to complete the HE1 form. You need to complete the HE1 Form as an Independent Student.

You'll need to complete the Jersey bursary application form by 1 May, which you can get f​rom Student Finance by email once your HE1 Form has been approved.

You should also provide us with copies of your degree certificate, or if you haven't been awarded your degree, a statement of your academic standing from your university / college. 

Late or incomplete applications won't be accepted. 

You can only submit one application for one academic year. 

After you've submitted your application​

A short list of applicants will be agreed by a panel before the end of May. 

If you're shortlisted, you'll be invited to an interview in July where you'll be asked to give a 10 minute presentation to the panel on your chosen topic of research or study. 

The panel will comprise of:

  • the minister for education, sport and culture (or his representative)
  • the director for education, sport and culture (or his representative)
  • a Student Finance officer
  • a senior academic advisor from the UK
  • an independent person​

How the bur​sary will be paid​​

The bursary will be split into three payments and sent ​by cheque for collection at your university / college at the beginning of each term. 

If you're studying overseas, the cheques will be paid directly into your bank account. 

If your course is longer than a year, payment will only be made after a satisfactory annual report. 

Back to top
rating button