Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri


Some universities offer Jersey students a guaranteed place in halls of residence. You should speak to your university about this if you do not want to rent private accommodation.

If you move into privately rented accommodation, most universities offer support and will be able to answer questions you have.

A housing guarantor is one of the things to consider when finding housing to rent in the UK.

Housing guarantor

You might need a housing guarantor if you rent accommodation in the UK.

A guarantor is a person who agrees to be responsible for your rent and other obligations under your tenancy agreement. They can also be responsible for any co-tenants you share the accommodation with.

Your guarantor may have to pay for you if you or any of your co-tenants damage the property or do not pay your rent for example.

What to do if you cannot get a guarantor on Advicenow

Who are guarantors and what do they do on Advicenow

Council Tax

This is a tax collected for councils to pay for costs such as bin collection and road maintenance.

If you live in a house where everyone is a full time student you will not have to pay this.

If you live in a house where someone is working full time and not studying you’ll have to pay even if everyone else is a full time student. However you can apply for a reduced rate on GOV.UK.

Contact your local council for more information.

Find your local council on GOV.UK

How Council Tax works on GOV.UK


The healthcare system is different in the UK. You will not have to pay to visit a GP but you’ll pay for prescriptions.

If you receive a regular prescription, you should speak to your GP in Jersey before you go to university. They may be able to give you enough until you come to Jersey again.

You still need to pay to go to the dentist. Fees depend on the treatment you receive.

You should register with your local NHS GP surgery and local dentist when you arrive in the UK.

Getting medical care as a student on NHS

Taking your car to the UK

You should speak to your current insurance company if you want to take your car to the UK. Check if you're covered and how long you’ll be when off-Island.

For more information contact Driver and Vehicle Standards in Jersey​.


Items you have insured in Jersey may not be covered if you take them to the UK.

Check with your insurance provider before you leave the Island. You may need to get a UK insurance provider.

Using your Jersey phone in the UK

You should check with your Jersey phone provider costs for making calls or using data when you’re in the UK. You may need to get a phone provider in the UK to avoid extra charges.

Working in the UK

National Insurance number

You must have a National Insurance number if you want to work in the UK. This is similar to a Social Security number in Jersey.

To apply you’ll need your:

  • personal details such as name and date of birth
  • UK full address
  • employer's name and address
  • occupation
  • date of entry in the UK
  • eligibility status to work in the UK such as student visa, student dependant visa or EU citizen

Apply for a National Insurance number on GOV.UK

You'll be asked for your:

  • postcode (of your current UK address)
  • personal details (name, date of birth)
  • full UK address
  • employer's name and address
  • your occupation
  • your date of entry to the UK
  • your eligibility to work in the UK (eg student visa, student dependant visa, EU citizen)


If you work in the UK you’ll pay tax.

Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances on GOV.UK

A student's guide to tax on University of Southampton


The UK holds general and local elections and larger referendums.

Types of election, referendums, and who can vote on GOV.UK

As a Jersey resident or student find out which elections you can vote in on The Electoral Commission.

Back to top
rating button