Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Apply to be a hawker if you don’t live in Jersey (selling door-to-door)

​Licence to be a hawker

If you want to come to Jersey to sell goods door-to-door, you need to apply for a hawker’s licence. 

To apply for a hawker’s licence you need to be either British, Irish or have an existing immigration permission allowing you to work in Jersey. For example, this includes individuals holding a:

  • settled or pre-settled status
  • UK ancestry visa
  • indefinite leave to remain
  • work permit dependent visa
  • spouse or partner visa

New immigration permissions are not granted for hawkers.

Find further guidance on work permits: make an application.

For more information on immigration permissions required to work in Jersey contact Jersey’s Customs and Immigration Service:

If you live in Jersey and want to sell goods door-to-door, contact Business Licensing.

How to apply

Before you apply for a hawker’s licence you need to contact Business Licensing to discuss your specific circumstances. They’ll send you a copy of the licence’s application form.

The hawker’s licence costs £1,184.​

Part of your application needs you to request a basic DBS check on GOV.UK

Allow us 4 to 6 weeks to process your licence application.

Back to top
rating button