Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Apply for a non-resident business licence to work in Jersey

Licence to work in Jersey 

If you or your company plan to work in Jersey, you’ll need to apply for a licence. 

This is called a non-resident undertaking licence.

You must make sure that you have:

  • a contract in place before you apply for your licence
  • a separate licence for each contract you’re working on in Jersey
  • your licence approved before starting work in Jersey
If you work on a contract which covers more than one site, you only need to apply for one licence and pay one fee.  

Who can apply

You can apply if you’re either a:

  • company / partnership / sole trader (not living in Jersey)
  • contracting business or person in Jersey applying on behalf of a company / partnership / sole trader who is coming to work in Jersey 

If you’re coming from outside the EU

If you’re coming from outside the EU, you may need a work permit and should contact the Immigration Office.  

Details you’ll need before applying for a licence

Before filling out your application to apply for a licence, have the following details ready:

  • number of days you’ve worked in Jersey in the last 12 months (if any)
  • number of days you expect to work in Jersey
  • name of the contractor who you’ll be working for in Jersey (this could be an individual)
  • name and address of the company / partnership / sole trader who will be coming to Jersey to work
  • address of where you’ll be working in Jersey
  • start and end dates of your contract
  • address of where you’ll be staying in Jersey (eg. hotel, B&B)
  • debit or credit card 

How to apply for a licence

You can apply for a licence using our online form. 

You can only pay by credit or debit card. If you can’t pay this way, contact us.

Cost of licence

The table below shows the amount you’ll be charged for a licence, depending on how long you’ll be working in Jersey.

A licence lasts up to 12 months.

Number of days you'll be in Jersey (in a 12 month period)Amount you'll be charged
1 to 30 days
31 to 60 days£1,000
61 to 90 days£1,500
91 to 180 days£2,000
181 to 270 days
271 to 365 days£3,500

There may be certain time periods where you won’t have to pay a fee, depending on your:

  • type of work
  • contract
  • length of time that you’ll be working in Jersey

If you’ve been working in Jersey within the last year

If you’re returning to Jersey to work on a contract that you've been working on within the last 12 months, don’t complete an application. Contact us instead.  

Extending your licence

If your licence has expired after 12 months and you need to extend it, contact us. You can email, phone us on +44 (0) 1534 444444 or come in to see us.

Back to top
rating button