Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Apply to trade if you don’t live in Jersey

Licence to be a non-resident trader

If you want to come to Jersey to buy or sell goods or services, you’ll need to apply for a licence. 

This is called a non-resident trading licence. 

You’ll have to pay a fee of £1,184​ and you need to apply for your licence before you arrive in the Island.

You need 1 licence per trip to Jersey. Each time you return, you’ll need to apply for a new licence.

Check if you need Immigration permission

If you’re planning to bring individuals to work in Jersey who are not British or Irish and do not hold an existing Immigration permission, you must contact Jersey Customs and Immigration Service. They'll check if the individuals need a work permit and if your activity is permitted under the Jersey Immigration rules. You must do this before applying for a non-resident trader licence.

Existing Immigration permissions include, for example:

  • EU nationals with Settled or Pre-settled status
  • UK ancestry visa
  • Indefinite leave to remain
  • Work permit dependent visa
  • spouse or partner visa

Jersey Customs and Immigration Service
Phone: +44 (0) 1534 448000

Find out more on who can work in Jersey without requiring a work permit on Work permits: make an application.

How to apply

Complete the application for a non-resident trading licence and return it to us.

Application for a non-resident trading licence

Allow 10 working days for us to process your application.

If you live in Jersey

If you live in Jersey and want to buy or sell goods, you’ll need to apply for a business licence.

Back to top
rating button