Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Tax Identification Numbers: an introduction


​What's a TIN

We have introduced the internationally recognised 10 digit Tax Identification Number (TIN).

The introduction of TINs brings Jersey in line with international tax practice, increasing the level of security offered by the identification number, and ensuring that every individual has their own identity.

Where you'll find your TIN

Your TIN is on all correspondence from Revenue Jersey. You can use it for correspondence and payments.

Every individual currently holding a Jersey tax record will be given a TIN, including spouses and civil partners who at present don't have their own unique tax reference number. Children will have a TIN assigned as part of the birth registration process.

Registering for tax

When you register for tax for the first time you'll be given a TIN.

Moving to Jersey: Register as a Jersey resident (includes tax registration)

Register for tax only (if you don't need to register as a Jersey resident)

About TINs

A TIN is a 10 digit unique, secure number used to identify you for tax purposes.

TINs are widely used around the world so our use of them will help bring Jersey’s tax system in line with international best practice. 

ITIS effective rate notices

Every employee will receive their own effective rate notice which will include their own unique TIN.

This ITIS rate notice must be given to your employer when you receive it.

If you're employed

Employers will use the TIN from January 2022. The slip at the bottom of your instalment rate notice will have your TIN included so you can hand this your employer.

Paying your tax bill

If you want to make an Automatic Telephone Payment (ATP), you will need to use your TIN. If you want to make a payment using another method, you can use either your TIN or your old Tax Reference Number.

Companies and other entities

All organisations and other bodies will also be assigned a TIN. This will start to appear on correspondence, but you will still need your old tax reference to file company returns online with TOOS or if you're an employer sending in online employer returns.

Back to top
rating button