Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Student credits for people over 18 in full-time education

Turning 18 and paying contributions

When you turn 18, you need to pay Social Security contributions if you’re working.

These contributions are payments which go towards any benefits you may need in the future, such as:

  • your pension
  • maternity allowance
  • sickness pay

Student credits

While you are in full-time education you can apply for student credits, which protect your contribution record. This means that you don’t have to pay contributions, but you’ll still be able to claim certain benefits when you need them.

About contributions 

Who can get student credits

You can get student credits if:

  • you’re 18 or over and at secondary school until end of academic year
  • you live in Jersey when you’re not at university / college
  • you’re in full-time education

How to apply

After you’ve had your place at university or college confirmed, you can apply for student credits using the form below.

If you’re not receiving a student grant from us, you’ll need to provide us with proof of studentship. 

Examples of proof of studentship include:

  • UCAS confirmation letter
  • Letter from your Secondary school
  • letter of acceptance for a course
  • letter from college / university etc
  • degree certificate (if we’re backdating your credits)

Apply for student credits

How long you can be covered by student credits

We can give you up to three years’ worth of credits throughout your working life.

Your studentship doesn’t have to be over one specific period. It can be spread out over a number of periods, over different years.

If you are in full-time education for over three years

Student credits stop at the end of three years. However, you are excused from paying contributions whilst you are in full-time education.

If your university or college course is longer than three years, let us know. You may need to complete an Low Income Contributions Relief form. This will make you exempt from paying for the rest of the time that you’re in full-time education. You can apply for this using the form below.

Low Income Contributions Relief

If you work while you’re a full-time student

If you earn the minimum earnings threshold or more, you’ll still have to pay Social Security contributions on any paid work that you do.

You must show your registration card and photographic identification to your employer. This means that Class 1 contributions will be deducted from your wages.

Student credits covering you for benefits

Your student credits cover you for all contributory benefits, such as:

  • your pension
  • sickness pay
  • maternity allowance

In order to receive a benefit, you must have contributed into the system through paid work for at least three months (six months for pension), at some point before your claim.

Changes in circumstances

You must tell us immediately if you:

  • leave full-time education
  • change address
  • are no longer a Jersey resident
Back to top
rating button