Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Opting out of contributions early

When you can opt out of paying contributions

If you’re over a certain age and have fully retired from work, you can opt out of paying contributions.

The age at which you can choose to stop paying your contributions is linked to your pension age.

You can find out what age you can stop paying contributions by checking your pension age.

Check your pension age

How to apply to opt out of paying contributions

You’ll need to complete the application form below.

Apply to opt out of paying contributions

How benefits are affected when you opt out

Choosing not to pay contributions any more affects your entitlement to contributory benefits, such as:

  • Short Term Incapacity Allowance
  • Long Term Incapacity Allowance
  • a pension

We strongly advise that before opting out of paying, you talk to us to make sure that you fully understand how your rights to benefits may be affected.

Changes in circumstances

If you start work again, even part-time, you should talk to us as soon as possible about starting to pay your contributions again.

You can’t back-pay contributions to cover any time that you decided not to pay contributions.

Back to top
rating button