Who is eligible for a free television licence
You are likely to qualify for a free TV licence if:
you’re 75 or over
your income is below:
£16,070 for a single person or
£26,170 for a couple
you live in a house or a flat
If you’re under 75 but permanently live with someone who qualifies, you can claim a free TV licence on their behalf.
2021 television licences
From 1 January 2021 the UK government changed the way the TV licenses will be paid.
What this means to you:
- if you've already claimed a free TV licence rebate from us you do not need to take any further action. You will automatically receive a new free TV licence every year unless your circumstances change, such as leaving the Island or moving into a care home
- if your circumstances do change, contact us on + 44 (0) 1534 444444, and select option 4
When to apply
If you do not currently have a free TV licence and would like to apply, you can apply online from the date of your 75th birthday.
How to apply
Complete the application form below to apply for a free TV licence.
Free TV licence for people over 75
In order to complete the form, you will need the following:
- your ‘notice of renewal’ for a TV licence or your actual TV licence
You can either:
- upload these items when you complete the above form
- send them to us in the post
- drop them into the secure post box outside Customer and Local Services
If you don't receive an old age pension, we may ask to see your birth certificate. We can only accept original certificates or certified copies, confirming an approved authority has seen the original document.
If you can't complete the form yourself, you can ask somebody to complete it for you or contact us to help, phone +44 (0) 1534 444444 and select option 4.
What happens next?
The BBC licencing authority will send you your new free TV licence automatically.
Each year moving forward, you will automatically receive a new free TV licence, you will not need to make any more claims.
If you have already paid towards your current TV licence and you are now eligible for the free TV licence, then the BBC licencing authorities will refund you the difference directly.
Appealing a decision
If your application for a free television licence has been rejected and you want to appeal, contact us and we’ll advise you on the appeal process.
Email Customer and Local Services
Call us on +44 (0) 1534 444444.