Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Extending your stay in Jersey

​When permission is not needed to extend your stay in Jersey

Permission is not needed to extend your stay in Jersey if you're:

  • a British or Irish citizen or a British subject with the right of abode
  • an EU / EEA passport holder who holds settled or pre-settled status
  • a family member of an EU / EEA passport holder who holds settled or pre-settled status
  • a non-EU / EEA passport holder who has no restrictions attached to your stay

If you have temporary permission to stay in Jersey you can apply to extend this permission to stay longer. If you're here as a visitor you can't extend your permission to stay beyond 6 months.

The Jersey Immigration Rules set out the requirements you need to meet to apply for an extension of stay, also known as Further Leave to Remain (FLR).

Immigration legislation and rules

Make an application for Further Leave to Remain (FLR)

Applications will only be accepted 2 weeks prior to the expiry of your current immigration permission to stay. 

To complete and submit this application you'll need the following information:

  • current and previous passports of the main applicant
  • current and previous passports of any dependents applying for an extension on this application
  • birth certificates of any children applying for an extension on this application
  • evidence that the main applicant has funds to maintain and accommodate themselves and dependents without recourse to public funds
  • evidence that you have suitable accommodation. This should take the form of a tenancy agreement or the deeds to a property
  • other information may be required is support of your application depending on the immigration permissions you are applying for. You'll be prompted what to provide on the documentary evidence page of this application

With the exception of the passports, you'll need to upload this information into the application prior to submission.

You'll need a debit or credit card to make payment.

If we require additional documentary evidence in support of the application an Officer will contact you directly using the information you have provided in this application.

Once you've completed the online application form:

  1. your application and supporting documents will be sent electronically to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service
  2. you'll receive a PDF copy of your application that you'll need to print off and submit along with your passports, and those of your dependents
  3. submit your application in the post to Immigration Casework, Maritime House, La Route Du Port Elizabeth, St Helier JE1 1JD. Please note that this building is not open to the public
  4. you'll be notified by phone or email when your documents are ready to collect.

Allow 3 weeks for applications to be processed from the date we receive your passports. 

You can save your application at any point and return by using the link in the email sent.

Apply to Further Leave to Remain

Language requirements

If you're making an application for a ‘spouse or unmarried partners and their dependants’ you must meet the following English language requirement in one of the following ways:

  • have passed an A2 English language test or above, held at Highlands College
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA)
  • hold a degree taught in the UK or a majority English speaking country (excluding Canada)
  • have obtained a foreign academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) deemed by the ECCTIS (UK ENIC) for the UK to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught or researched in English
  • English language testing is offered in Jersey by UK Government approved Secure English Language Test providers, IELTS SELT Consortium (ISC) and Pearson. For further details of when and where the English language tests are conducted, visit the IELTS UKVI Registration on the British Council website or PTE SELT Tests for UK
  • If you're unable to meet the A2 English language requirement you may be considered under the 10 year private life route and be granted Further Leave to Remain for 30 months at a time.

If you subsequently pass the A2 exam you may revert to the 5 year family route but the time period for qualification towards Indefinite Leave to Remain will start again.

Cost of Further Leave to Remain

Immigration and nationality fees

Transfer of immigration conditions

If you're an EEA national or a non-EEA national and require your immigration conditions to be transferred from an old passport to a new passport, you'll need to complete an application form.

Application Form: transfer of conditions

Applications will only be accepted by post, or by hand delivery. Make sure the application, together with all supporting documentation (including original passports), is presented in a sealed envelope marked for the attention of Immigration Casework. Failure to submit all the required documentation may delay in the application being processed or result in the application being returned.

Details for postal and hand delivery of applications can be found on the application form. There is no fee for this process.

The processing time for all applications is 3 weeks from the date the application is received. You'll be notified either by phone or email when your documents are ready for collection.

Back to top
rating button