You can get certain official Jersey issued documents ‘legalised’ by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a Jersey public official.
You might need to do this if an official in another country has asked you to provide a Jersey issued document and they’ve said it must be legalised.
The Legalisation Office will check the document, including whether the signature, stamp or seal is genuine. They’ll legalise the document by attaching a stamped official certificate (an ‘apostille’) to it.
You cannot get documents issued outside of Jersey legalised using this service, get them legalised in the country they were issued
We don't hold the signature, stamp or seal of every local official, notary public, advocate or solicitor on file, therefore we cannot guarantee that every document presented to us can be legalised.
Examples of documents that we frequently legalise
We frequently legalise documents like:
- documents issued by a local registrar. For example, (Jersey issued birth, marriage/civil partnership or death certificates, certificate of no impediment) - photocopies are not acceptable
- documents issued by a local notary public, advocate or solicitor. For example, (Jersey issued business documents, Power of Attorney, Certificate of Continuance, Statutory declaration)
How to get a document legalised
You must complete the form and make payment:
Request for legalisation of a document
Once complete you will be emailed a PDF, please print this off and submit together with the original document(s).
Return your request by either:
- putting it in the post box outside the front of Maritime House
- post the document(s) to:
La Route Du Port Elizabeth
Standard service costs are £30 per document and additionally, a premium (same day) service is available at a cost of £75 per document.
Standard Service: we aim to legalise a document under this service within one working day of receipt. Documents brought to our office will normally be ready for collection after 12:00pm on the next working day. We can also return your documents by post.
Premium Service: If you're submitting documents to be legalised under this service then please observe the following steps:
- advise the passport office by email (email@example.com) of any documents being submitted for this service before they are delivered
- you can only submit up to five documents for the premium service
- all premium documents can be delivered to Maritime House before 12pm with the online request payment form
- premium documents will be ready for collection at 2pm on the same day (unless otherwise advised by our office)
- ensure your documents are in an envelope / folder clearly marked for the Legalisation Department
- ensure that the envelope / folder is clearly marked with the individual or company responsible for collection