Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Citizenship test

​​About the Citizenship test

The test is known in the United Kingdom as the 'Life in the UK' test.

You normally need to pass this test before you can apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) or naturalisation as a British citizen.

The test is based on a book about the United Kingdom (available from the TSO website) and a supplement about Jersey (available below).

TSO Shop website

Jersey supplement

​How to book and cost​

To book a test, you should contact Highlands College.

You can sit the test as many times as you want, but you will have to pay each time.

Highlands College website

People who are exempt from the requirement

Certain categories of people do not need to prove knowledge of language and life in the UK.


If you are under 18 or 65 and over, you do not need to meet the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement.

When you apply, you should produce your passport or birth certificate as evidence of your age.


If you have a long-term, permanent disability that prevents you from learning English, you may not have to meet the requirements.

You must:

  • be suffering from a long-term illness or disability that severely restricts your mobility and ability to attend language classes
  • have a mental impairment that means you are unable to learn another language

When you apply, you should provide evidence from a medical practitioner confirming your disability.

If you need special arrangements to learn English or take the test, you still have to meet the requirements.

Other exempt categories (applies to application for indefinite leave to remain only)

You don’t have to pass the Citizenship test if you are applying for indefinite leave to r​emain and you are:

  • a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including Gurkhas)
  • the spouse of a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including Gurkhas)
  • applying as a victim of domestic violence
  • applying as a bereaved spouse, bereaved unmarried partner or bereaved civil partner
  • an adult dependant relative under Appendix FM (J1) of the Jersey Immigration Rules
  • an EEA family permit holder
  • applying for settlement following six years' discretionary leave
  • being granted settlement outside the Jersey Immigration Rules

You must still meet the requirements if you later apply for British citizenship, unless you are exempt for other reasons.

Back to top
rating button