Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Fences, walls and gates (permissions)

​Planning permission

You do not need planning permission to build a fence, wall or gate, providing:

  • it is within your domestic curtilage (‘domestic curtilage’ is the area of land on which a dwelling house / flat sits which is used for residential purposes.  It does not include a field or other open land next to a house, even if it is in the same ownership)
  • in the case of a dwelling house the property is not registered as a  listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP) and does not fall within an area of archaeological potential (AAP)
  • in the case of a dwelling house the fence, wall or gate is not in front of the principal elevation if the building is in a conservation area (CA) (‘principal elevation’ means any elevation that faces and is within 20 metres of a public road. A ‘public road’ is a road or footpath which is maintained at the expense of the public)
  • in the case of a flat, the building is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP) and the land does not fall within an area of archaeological potential (AAP) or a conservation area (CA)
  • the structure does not exceed 2 metres in height above ground level on either side and within 1 metre of the boundary if it is more than 2 metres from a road
  • the structure does not exceed 900 mm in height above road level on either side and within 1 metre of the boundary  when it is within 2 metres of a road
  • the work does not involve the formation or widening of an access to a road, other than a pedestrian access 
  • where the work involves the creation of or widening of a pedestrian access to the property the access must be no more than 1 metre wide
  • the structure does not create an obstruction to the view of a person using a road at or near a bend, corner, junction or intersection

Note: you will need planning permission if your 'permitted development' rights have been removed by a condition on a previous Planning Permit in the last 30 years or so.

Making an application - planning
Is my property or site listed?

Building permission

Fences, walls and gates do not normally require building permission. However, building permission is required for the construction of a retaining wall designed to retain earth or other material exceeding 1m high.

Making an application - building


Back to top
rating button