Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Creating or widening a vehicle access (permissions)

Planning permission

Domestic property

You will always require planning permission to create or alter any means of access to your property where this falls within your domestic curtilage and opens onto a public road. 

  • 'public road' is a road or footpath which is maintained at the expense of the public
  • 'domestic curtilage’ is the area of land on which a dwelling house / flat sits which is used for residential purposes.  It does not include a field or other open land next to a house, even if it is in the same ownership

Agricultural land

You do not need planning permission to create an access or widen an existing access to agricultural land, for agricultural purposes only provided that:

  • the land is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP)
  • the land does not fall within an area of archaeological potential (AAP) or a conservation area (CA) and
  • the work does not create an obstruction to a view at or near a bend, corner, junction or intersection that would cause danger 
  • the land does not contain any building other than a building used to shelter livestock which did not require planning permission by virtue of the Planning and Building (General Development)(Jersey) Order 2011 
  • the construction of any hard-surfaced area or driveway does not extend more than 3 metres from the edge of a highway and
  • you have obtained consent from the highway authority
  • a gatepost of any natural material no higher than than 90cm high is erected on each side of any new access
  • there is only one access to any boundary
  • where an access is widened, any existing gateposts must be relocated to either side of the access
  • any adjoining roadside wall or banque is reinstated

Is my property or site listed? 
Planning & Building (General Development)(Jersey) Order 2011

Building permission

You do not need building permission to create access or widen existing access to a road.​​

Back to top
rating button