Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Swimming or other pools (permissions)

​Planning permission

Planning permission for an open air, in-ground, domestic swimming pool or any other domestic pool or pond is not required if:

  • the pool or pond is being built within your domestic curtilage (‘domestic curtilage’ is the area of land on which a dwelling house sits which is used for residential purposes. It does not include a field or other open land next to a house, even if it is in the same ownership)
  • there are no retaining structures around (and including) the pool or pond that are higher than 1.2 metres
  • the pool or pond is not situated in front of a principal elevation of your house (‘principal elevation’ means any elevation that faces and is within 20 metres of a public road. A ‘public road’ is a road or footpath which is maintained at the expense of the public)
  • the property is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP) and does not fall within an area of archaeological potential (AAP)

You may also demolish a swimming pool or other pool or pond without planning permission provided that the infilling of land where the pool was, must be of clean and inert material.

    Note: You will need planning permission if your 'permitted development' rights have been removed by a condition on a previous Planning Permit in the last 30 years or so.

    Is my property or site listed?
    Making an application - planning

    Building permission

    Building permission is not required for open air swimming pools.

    Other considerations

    Planning and building permissions are required for buildings over a certain size that may be constructed in connection with a swimming pool, such as a pump house and changing rooms.  

    Small detached buildings 

    You will not require building permission if:

    • it's a detached single-storey building
    • the internal floor area is not more than 20 sq metres
    • it contains no sleeping accommodation 
    • no part of it is any closer than 1 metre to the boundary, or if less than 1 metre from a boundary, it has external walls and a roof covering constructed substantially of non-combustible material

    Making an application - building
    Exempt buildings and structures on Jersey Legal Information Board website

    Back to top
    rating button