Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Registering your vehicle in Jersey

​When vehicles need to be registered​​​

If you're moving to Jersey and living here for more than 12 months, or you're a Jersey resident importing a foreign vehicle then you must register your vehicle immediately. You cannot drive in Jersey on foreign registration plates.

You must be able to prove that you own the vehicle in order for it to be registered.

Vehicle specifications

Your vehicle will need to meet certain specifications and may be examined before it's registered.

It must meet with Jersey legislations. Some items which may not be allowed include:

  • headlights not designed or manufactured for driving on the left hand side of the road
  • mirrors without safety markings 
  • seatbelts and anchorages without safety markings
  • speedometers that are not marked in both mph and kph 
  • red direction indicators
  • lamps without the required angles of visibility
  • wheels and tyres that project beyond the wheel arches
  • windscreens and front side windows that are tinted beyond the legal limit
  • bullbars 

​If your vehicle is over 25 years old, then special exemption provisions will apply.

For a full list, contact Driver and Vehicle Standards on +44 (0) 1534 448600.

Documents needed to register a vehicle

If you want to register any motor vehicle in Jersey, you need to produce the following documents:

  • the owner's Jersey driving licence, if the owner is an individual 
  • a certificate of insurance or cover note for the time being in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by the owner (an insurance disc is not acceptable) 
  • a Jersey Customs import declaration. This is not required if you're a Customs approved trader. You may complete the declaration on​line
  • motor caravans also require a letter from the Department of Environment regarding the required permit

Customs declaration and payment website

Applying for or renewing a driving licence

Vehicle emissions duty (VED)

You might have to pay Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED). VED is an imports (excise) duty on vehicles. This includes vehicles already in the Island that have not yet been registered with J plates.

The duty charged will be based on manufacturers' CO2 emissions data. CO2 emissions data is normally only available for cars produced since March 2001. For vehicles manufactured before this date, the cubic capacity (cc) will be used.

Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED)

Vehicles registered in another country

If your vehicle has been registered in another country and you plan on living in Jersey for more than 12 months, you'll need to do the following:

  • produce the original documents as listed above
  • book your vehicle in for an inspection by completing the VRD 17 form
  • pay the inspection fee of (£39.50)
  • provide the registration document or certificate of permanent export for the vehicle (If being imported from the UK sections 1 and 2 on new style V5C, or 1 to 8 on old style V5C 
  • provide evidence of type approval for vehicles under 25 years old
  • provide an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle if not registered in your name
  • pay any Vehicle Emissions D​uty (VED)
  • pay any Goods and Services Tax (GST)

Vehicle Booking In Form

Vehicle Registration Checklist

Vehicle examination

If your vehicle passes the examination, you'll need to produce the following at the Driver and Vehicle Standards registration office, La Collette:

  • a completed VRD 2 application form 
  • the registration fee of​ (£32.50)
  • the registration document or certificate of title or certificate of permanent export for the vehicle

Request a licence plate number

You can request a specific licence plate number using the form below.

You’ll need to pay £250 to purchase the plate and £99 to assign the number to a Jersey registered vehicle. 

If it’s a new and unregistered vehicle, you’ll only need to pay £32.50.

Four digit registration numbers

A limited number of four digit registration marks will be made available periodically at the discretion of the Inspector of Motor Traffic. 

They are priced at £3,250 each and the available numbers will appear on the online search facility.

After you have submitted the form, you’ll need to pay for the registration plate. We will contact you in order to take payment by card over the phone. 

If you submit your request during office hours (8.30am to 4pm), we will try and contact you the same day. 

If you submit it outside of office hours, we will try and contact you​ on the next working day. 

Licence plate request

Vehicles not registered in another country

Vehicles which have never been registered fall into two categories:

  • vehicles with EU type approval
  • vehicles without EU type approval

For both categories, you'll need to produce the following (as well as the documents noted above):

  • a completed V55 / 1 (this form is issued by the manufacturer of the vehicle when it leaves the factory) or
  • acceptable evidence from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's main dealer that the vehicle was supplied unregistered (certificate of origin for ex-USA vehicles)

If your vehicle has EU type approval you must also produce a completed VRD 2 application form (available from the DVS registration office).

If your vehicle does not have EU type approval, then it will need to be inspected prior to registration. To make an appointment for your vehicle to be inspected, you must also produce a completed VRD 17 booking form. 

If your vehicle passes the examination, you will need to produce the following at the vehicle registration office:

  • a completed VRD 2 application form  (only available from the Driver and Vehicle Standards registration office La Collette) 
  • the registration fee of £32.50

If the vehicle is being independently imported and you cannot produce a V55 / 1, then you must produce either:

  • a European Community 'Whole Vehicle Type Approval' certificate of conformity or other acceptable type approval certificate, and an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle (if the vehicle is being imported from within the EU)
  • an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle (if the vehicle is being imported from outside the EU)  

EU type approval

​All vehicles built in the EU for use in EU countries will have type approval.

Your registration document will contain your type approval number or you can contact your vehicle manufacturer.

Back to top
rating button