Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Importing and exporting small animals

Captive and pet birds

Importing birds

Captive and pet birds can be imported from the UK, Isle of Man and other Channel Islands if you comply with the conditions of a general licence.

Pet birds can be imported from the EU and some other European countries if you comply with the conditions of a general licence.

General licence to import pet birds from the EU

Health certification and documentation

Consignments imported from the EU must be accompanied by a health certificate which conforms to the model certificate referred to in retained EU Decision 2007/25. This must be signed by an official veterinarian or inspector of the veterinary authority in the country of origin. Imports to Jersey must be accompanied by the appropriate health certificate found on the GOV.UK website.

To import captive birds from the EU and some other European countries you must apply to the Department of the Environment for a specific licence. You must comply with any conditions required by this licence.

Application to import captive birds from the EU

Travelling to Europe

There are changes to the animal health requirements to enter the EU.

Family pet birds need to travel to the EU with an Export Health Certificate and must be checked at a Travellers Point of Entry. You'll need to contact the authorities at the port of entry to determine where your pet must be presented for checks. You may need to use an agent to manage this. There may also be a requirement for additional sample testing or quarantine. Contact your vet in good time to discuss the current requirements.

Captive birds continue to travel with export health certificates but will need to enter through a border control port and an agent will be needed to manage the import to the EU.

Exporting birds

You may have to get a health certificate to export captive and pet birds to other countries. To get a health certificate, contact the Department of the Environment at least 10 days before the date of export.

There are no restrictions on exporting captive or pet birds from Jersey. The owner and exporter must meet the requirements issued by the importing country.

Importing pigeons

Breeding pigeons, racing pigeons and hatching eggs can be imported from the UK, Isle of Man and other Channel Islands if you meet with the conditions of a specific licence.

To import pigeons using a specific licence, you must contact the Department of the Environment at least 10 working days before the date of export.

You need a specific licence to import birds from Europe. Contact the Department of the Environment at least 10 days before the date of importation to arrange this.

Exporting pigeons

If you want to export pigeons to breed, contact the Department of the Environment at least 10 days before the date of export to arrange this.

If you have entered your pigeons into a race, you must ensure all of the racing pigeons have been vacinated against pigeon paramyxovirus 1. The keeper must keep a record of every race for at least 12 months.

Pigeon fanciers must register with the Department before racing abroad. 

Reptiles and amphibians


To import amphibians you must have an individual licence which includes conditions to prevent import of diseases.

Application form to import amphibians

Specimen amphibian licence

Amphibian chytrid screening

It's possible that infectious diseases could be introduced to Jersey's amphibian population.
Amphibian infectious diseases information leaflet


To import reptiles you must comply with the conditions set out in the general licence. This includes notifying the Department of the Environment at least 24 hours prior to the import.

General licence to import reptiles

Notification form for the movement into Jersey of animals

Rabbits and rodents

​If you keep 5 or more female rabbits for breeding for sale you require a licence under the Animal Welfare (Jersey) Law 2004.

Travelling to Europe

If you wish to take pet rodents into the EU, the requirements for entry will depend on the national rules of the country that you will be travelling to and any countries that you transit. You will also be subject to entry checks at the EU point of entry. 

Importing rabbits and rodents from Europe

You can import pet rabbits and rodents to Jersey for non-commercial purposes. They must be fit and healthy to travel and you do not need to meet any health requirements for any of the following areas:

  • Channel Islands
  • United Kingdom
  • Isle of Man
  • all EU Member States
  • Andorra
  • Switzerland
  • Faroe Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Greenland
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • San Marino
  • Vatican City State

You must not import more than 5 animals in any consignment from EU Member States and other European countries and they must not be sold or transferred to another owner.

Importing pet rabbits and rodents from the rest of the world

If you want to import rabbits and rodents from a non-EU country (other than those listed above), they must be kept in quarantine for 4 months. You must arrange quarantine and get an import licence in the UK because Jersey does not have an approved quarantine unit.

Pet travel: quarantine on the website

Commercial rabbits

You can freely import commercial rabbits for sale or farming from:

  • other Channel Islands
  • the Isle of Man
  • the UK

If you want to import commercial rabbits for sale, re-homing or farming from other EU Member States you need:

  • an import licence
  • health certificate
  • to have your premises registered under Article 93 of Regulation (EU) 2016/429

Application for a licence to import rabbits and rodents

Application to register premises under the Balai Directive

Rabbit welfare code

Animal Welfare (Jersey) Law 2004 on Jersey Law website

Licensing of commercial breeding businesses

Protection of endangered species

The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) is an international agreement between governments which aims to ensure that international animal and plant trade does not threaten the survival of any species.

Jersey is a signatory to CITES through the UK government.

Contact the CITES team at the Department of the Environment to check if you need to get any CITES permits or documents.

Prohibited animals

It is prohibited to import the following animals into Jersey and the EU:

  • prairie dogs originating in or travelling from the USA
  • certain rodents and squirrels originating in or travelling from certain countries of the sub-Saharan region of Africa

It is prohibited to import the following animals ans species into Jersey without a licence issued by the Department of the Environment:

  • coypu
  • grey squirrel
  • muskrat
  • fox
  • mink
  • badgers
  • Antilocapridae
  • Camelidae
  • Caprinae
  • Cervidae
  • Giraffidae
  • Suidae
  • Tragulidae

The following list of animals is for information but is not definitive:

  • antelope
  • camels
  • sheep
  • goats
  • deer
  • giraffe
  • pigs
  • alpacas
  • llamas
  • mouse deer

Back to top
rating button