Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Paying contributions if you're employed

​​Contribution levels in 2022

Find out the 2022 contribution percentages and levels using the link below.

Social Security contribution levels

​Amount you and your employer will pay

Employee primary contributions

If you’re between 16 and pension age and earn the minimum earning threshold or more, your primary contribution in 2022 is 6% from January to December 2022 of your gross earnings per month.

This is deducted from your salary by your employer and is paid to Social Security.

Employer primary contributions

Your employer will pay 6.5% of your gross earnings up to the standard earnings limit (SEL), and 2.5% between the SEL and up to the upper earnings limit. This will not be deducted from your earnings.

How contributions are calculated

Use our contributions calculator to find out how your contributions are calculated.

Contributions calculator

Minimum amount of contributions you must pay

In 2022, the lower earnings limit (£1,016) is the minimum amount that you must earn.

You must meet this lower limit, or it will affect your right to any benefits that are paid based upon your contribution record.

The lower earnings limit is in place to avoid taxpayers’ money being used to top up the contributions of people working few hours.

If your earnings are less than the lower earnings limit

You will receive a ‘missing Class 1 contributions’ letter if your total earnings are less than the lower earnings limit per month. 

Contact us so we can explain your options to you.

Class 2 Social Security contributions

Paying contributions as a new resident to Jersey

When you come to live in Jersey, you need to register with Social Security at Customer and Local Services. When you start working, you must start paying contributions.

If you’re self-employed or not employed, you should still register with Social Security at Customer and Local Services, but you can defer paying contributions for six months after you arrive in Jersey.

If you're on a working secondment to Jersey, you must register with Social Security at Customer and Local Services, and produce a letter of secondment from your employer.

Registration cards and contributions

Paying contributions whilst working outside of Jersey

If you work for a short time outside the Island for your Jersey employer, contributions will be taken from your wages as though you are still working in Jersey.

If you leave the Island permanently, let us know immediately. You won’t be liable to pay contributions to Jersey.

Paying contributions and working for more than one employer

If you’re earn the minimum earnings threshold or above in each job, your total earnings from all your employers will be taken into account. 

Back to top
rating button