Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

People exempt from paying contributions


You don't have to pay contributions from the month after you start receiving your Old Age Pension. If you’re employed, your employer must still pay the secondary (6.5%) Class 1 contribution.

When you reach pension age, if you have a blue registration card, take it to Customer and Local Services so that we can exchange it for a red one. The red card shows your employer that they shouldn’t deduct social security contributions from your wages. If you’re still employed, you should give the new card to your employer as soon as possible. 

Students under 16

If you’re under 16 and working, you and your employer don’t have to pay contributions. 

If you’re leaving Jersey

If you either leave the Island permanently, or are not in Jersey employment, you don’t have to pay contributions. Tell us when you leave so that we can update our records.

Tell us you're leaving Jersey

If you’re employed in Jersey, but temporarily working outside the Island, you may still have to pay contributions. Ask your employer to contact us to check. If you’re liable, we’ll issue you a certificate so that you can prove that you’re paying contributions in Jersey. This will stop you being chased for costs in the country that you’re living in.

If you’re coming to Jersey for the first time

If you haven’t been registered in Jersey and you don’t work for an employer, you don’t have to pay contributions straight away.

Once you have been in the Island for six months, you’ll have to start contributing.

If you’ve already been registered in Jersey, you’ll be liable for contributions as soon as you arrive in the Island.

How to register with Social Security

If you’re in prison or legal custody

If you’re in prison or legal custody and you continue to receive wages from an employer, both you and the employer have to pay contributions.

If you’re not receiving a salary, contributions will not be due for any month you are in prison or legal custody.

Back to top
rating button