Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Married women's election: paying contributions

Paying contributions as a married women

Some married women may choose not to pay contributions.

To qualify for the married woman’s election you must have been married before 1 April 2001 and liable to pay Jersey Social Security contributions before 1 April 2001

If you meet both these conditions, you have the choice of paying or not paying contributions.

Choosing not to pay contributions

If you choose not to pay contributions, then:

  • your primary contributions will not be deducted from your wages if you work for an employer
  • you do not have to pay class 2 contributions when you do not work
  • your contributory benefits will be affected
  • your pension will rely on your husband’s contribution record

Applying for the married woman’s election

You must fill in a 'Married Woman’s Election' form.

You can collect this form from the Social Security Department or you can call us and we can send you one.

When you have completed the form, return it to us, together with your original marriage certificate.

If you have a blue social security registration card it must be sent back to us. You'll need to tell us if you are working, or intend to work. We will then send you a red card. The colour of the card tells your employer whether to deduct contributions or not.

We strongly advise that before choosing not to pay contributions, you fully understand how your right to claim benefits may be affected.

Once you have opted out of paying contributions, you cannot opt back in. You will remain on a red card until you reach pension age.

Changes in circumstances

You should tell us as soon as possible if you get divorced or separated. When you are divorced, you have to pay contributions as a single person even if you chose not to pay as a married woman.

Back to top
rating button