Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Special payments: help with emergency costs

What special payments are

Special payments are one-off payments you can receive from Income Support to help you pay for emergency costs of essential items or services.

Most special payments are loans you’ll need to repay. We’ll recover the amount each week through your Income Support claim. 

We can deduct between £14 to £35 per week depending on how much you receive and what you can afford. Some special payments are grants you do not have to repay.

To get a special payment, you must:

  • be entitled to receive Income Support
  • be in urgent need of the item or service
  • have no other way to pay

You can have small savings and still receive a special payment. If your savings are more than 25% of your maximum capital, you may not qualify for a Special Payment or the amount of help you’ll receive will be reduced.

If you’re not receiving Income Support

You can receive special payments even if you’re not on Income Support. 

You would need to have lived in Jersey for:

  • the last 4 and a half years and would qualify for Income Support if you had been on the Island longer
  • at least 5 years and your household income is within the 10% limit for entitlement to Income Support

You need to apply for Income Support to show that you meet one of these conditions before you can apply for a special payment.

Applying for Income Support

For more information and guidance contact Income Support​

Being aged 65 and over

If you’re aged 65 or over and need help with emergency costs you should use the Pension Plus scheme to apply for:

  • optical
  • dental
  • chiropody costs

If the amount in your Pension Plus balance is not enough the difference can be paid with a special payment.

For help with non-medical emergency costs you can apply for a special payment.

You can find more information or apply for the Pension Plus scheme.

What you can ask help for

You can apply for special payments for:

Security deposit for a rental property

You must have a valid reason to move such as:

  • coming out of prison, care or rehabilitation
  • break-up of long-term relationship
  • being transferred by Andium homes
  • previous accommodation acknowledged as unsuitable due to health, safety or overcrowding issues
  • previously homeless

In most cases, you must be aged 25 or older to be able to receive a special payment.

The new property must be appropriate for the size of your household and be considered a reasonable rent for the type and size of property.

You will not usually receive help with these costs if you make yourself homeless intentionally or you become homeless as a result of your own unreasonable actions.

You must contact us before you sign the lease or make any commitments to the new property.

Flooring in a Social property (Andium Homes property)

You must have a valid reason to replace flooring. For example, if it’s a new Andium accommodation or it’s due to long term wear and tear or damage.

Large household appliances

This can be items such as a refrigerator, stove or washing machine. You’ll only receive help with the cost of standard models. We’ll tell you what you’re eligible for.

Beds and mattresses

You can receive help only for beds and mattresses that meet the needs of the household. For example, a single adult will only be approved for a single bed and mattress unless there’s a medical need for a larger size.

You’ll only receive help with the cost of standard models. We’ll tell you what you’re eligible for.

Dental treatments

You can only receive a special payment for essential dental health costs and providing you have not paid for or proceeded with the treatment.

You cannot claim for basic check-ups, cosmetic work or orthodontics such as crowns, implants, braces or bridges.​

Your special payment can be a loan or a grant depending on your age and personal circumstances. If they did not re​ceive assistance with essential dental treatment in the last 2 years, anyone on your Income Support claim can have a grant of £750 maximum. The remaining balance will be a loan. 

Examination and x-ray costs will only be recognised if part of essential dental treatment.

In a dental emergency such as an extraction or basic filling you can see your dentist for treatment but you must contact us to claim the cost within 7 days.

You can receive special payments for more complex treatments on the front visible teeth up to the pre-molars (smile line) but we will not accept all treatments on rear teeth.

You might need to get a cheaper or alternative quote if we do not approve it.​

Medical and optical expenses

You must ask us before you visit a medical practitioner, but you could get help for:

  • emergency and essential dental treatment
  • denture repairs
  • prescription glasses
  • chiropody

If they did not have optical assistance in the last 2 years, anyone on your Income Support claim can have a grant of £180 maximum, inclusive of the examination costs. Any remaining balance for approved prescriptions will be a loan. We can review this for children's prescriptions.

We cannot accept any estimates from Visio​n Express.​

Funeral arrangements

We can help with the costs of a funeral in Jersey.

The funerals must be for someone who was on Income Support. Or the person applying for a special payment qualifies for Income Support and is arranging funerals for a member of their household such as a parent, sibling or child.

You may also be able to receive a Death Grant.

Essential items you need to work

These can be for example, special clothes or boots and must not be provided by your employer.

What you cannot receive help for

You cannot ask special payments for:

  • household bills
  • parish rates
  • TV licences
  • flights to visit family
  • debt repayment

Apply for a special payment

You must be aged 18 or over to apply for a special payment. You can apply on behalf of a child if they are part of your Income Support household.

The quotes you submit must be dated within 28 days of your application.

We pay most special payments directly to the company or organisation providing you the items or service.

You must send your claim and wait for our approval before you buy anything or make any financial commitments. We will not refund you if you buy or make financial commitments before you receive our approval.

For emergencies we can process your application on the same day if we have all the information we need.

To apply for a special payment you need to complete the online form.

You’ll need:

  • the latest 3 months bank statements for all accounts held in your Income Support household. This includes app-based or online accounts such as Revolut, Starling, Monzo or PayPal and Co-Op share accounts in all currencies and savings accounts
  • if applying for a rental deposit, details of your new property including:
    • property type
    • rent changes
    • landlord details
  • if applying for dental treatment, optical assistance, removals or funerals, a recent quote

Apply for a special payment
If you’re having difficulties using our online services you can request a special payment in person or contact Income Support.

Exceptional payments

The Minister of Social Security can make exceptional payments to anyone in Jersey who faces a difficult situation and needs financial help.

These payments fall outside the main framework of Income Support and you should apply in writing to Income Support.

If you do not agree with our decision

If you do not agree with our decision you can ask for it to be looked at again.

If you’re still disagree, you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

Find more information on the process if you think a Social Security decision is wrong.

Back to top
rating button