Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Beyond Brexit: Key changes for Islanders, visitors and businesses from January 2021

​Our relationship with the European Union has changed. New rules for Islanders and businesses are now in place.

Planning a trip to Europe

From January 2021, to visit any EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you'll need to consider the following:

  • make sure your passport is no older than 10 years, and has six months validity left on your intended date of arrival. Further information on passport rules for travel to Europe
  • on arrival you may be asked about the reason for your trip and be asked to produce documents to support this, such as return tickets and adequate funds
  • you'll be able to visit, and remain, in the EU for 90 days in any 180 day period without needing a visa. However, if you want to stay longer, you will need to apply for a long-stay visa
  • to drive or hire a car in Europe you may need an International Driving Permit for certain countries. You may also need a 'green card' from your insurance company
  • if you're taking a pet into Europe you will need to meet new requirements and have an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). The original Pet Passport scheme is no longer valid
  • check you have appropriate travel and health insurance before travelling

Living in Jersey as an EU National

If you're an EU National and you were living in Jersey before 1 January 2021, and wish to continue living in Jersey, you need to apply to the Jersey-EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021.

The application process is quick, simple and free of charge. 

Visiting Jersey

If you're British, Irish or hold settled or pre-settled status you do not require a visa to enter, visit, work, study or settle in Jersey.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national you do not require a visa to visit Jersey for up to 6 months. However visitors will be unable to seek employment or switch into any other immigration category.

Visa and passport requirements for visitors from 2021

Living, working and studying in Europe as a British National

If you're a British National living in the EU, you'll already have certain protections under the Withdrawal Agreement. However, you should still check that country's specific rules on

If you plan to move to the EU in 2021 for work or study, you'll need to check the rules for the country you are intending to move to on Students looking to study in the EU should contact their prospective institutions for information on tuition fees.

In all instances British nationals living, working and studying in Europe are advised:

  • to have the appropriate immigration permission from the relevant country;
  • to have healthcare insurance
  • to ensure your passport has the relevant validity

Trading with Europe

If you import from or export to the European Union you will need to meet new rules and requirements.

Trading with the EU

Employing EU nationals

The process of employing EU Nationals has changed.  EU nationals that were not in Jersey before 1 January 2021 and are not eligible for the Jersey-EU Settlement Scheme, will need a working visa before they arrive and their employer will need a work permit.

Employing EU Nationals

Business readiness

Make sure your business has considered all potential changes.

Business ready

Back to top
rating button