From July 2019, a Board for the Health and Community Services Department (HCS) will meet in public, every month. This is the first time that this has happened.
The role of the board is to demonstrate openly and transparently how HCS and their key partners are working to deliver the best health and social care services for islanders.
The board is chaired by the Minister for HCS, Deputy Richard Renouf.
The location of the meeting will be publicised in advance. Agendas will also be published in advance as well as the minutes of the previous meeting and other papers. All meetings will be filmed as a record.
Purpose of the board
The purpose of the board is to:
- provide oversight
- shape culture
- oversee risk
- seek assurance about the services provided by HCS and the experience and safety of patients receiving those services
There is also a Part B board meeting where matters of commercial and other types of confidentiality are considered. This meeting is not public.
The HCS Board is made up of:
- The Minister for Health and Community Services
- The Assistant Ministers for Health and Community Services
- The Director General for Health and Community Services
- The Chief Nurse
- The Group Managing Director for Health and Community Services
- The Medical Director for Health and Community Services
- Group Finance Business Partner
- Invited partners from the community and voluntary sector, and Primary Care
- a patient representative
The Board Chair:
- sets out the purpose of the board before each meeting
- introduces the Chairs of the Committees and the Executive Team and Invited Partners
- sets out what the board wished to achieve
- hold the Executive Directors to account for the performance, standard and safety of the services in their portfolios
- holds the Director General as the accountable officer for performance, standard and safety across the whole of HCS and also to seek assurance about this performance
The Board does not:
- replace in any way the responsibilities and accountabilities of States Assembly members or their work
- consider in detail the subjects under consideration
Deputy Richard Renouf, Minister
At each sitting, the Board will table and discuss the following agenda items:
- welcome and apologies
- declarations of interest
- patient’s story
- professional’s story
- minutes from previous meeting - No previous meetings
- matters arising and action log - No matters arising
- chair’s report
- board Secretary - Corporate governance structure
- director General’s report
- approval of Board Terms of Reference (Schedule of decisions referred to The Board and scheme of delegation)
- new risks escalated to the board
- management Executive Team
- quality and performance
- finance and modernisation
- people and organisational development
- any other business notified prior to the meeting
- board members reflection on Board Today
Future board meetings
The next board meeting is Monday 8 November 2021.
You can contact us by
emailing the Board Secretary.