Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Work colleagues pointing to phone discussion Work colleagues pointing to phone discussion

​​​​Employment statuses

Everyone who lives in Jersey has a residential and employment status issued by Customer and Local Services. These statuses can have restrictions for working in the island.

​Employment statusDefinition​​Restriction
​'Entitled'​Someone who has lived in Jersey for 10 years​Can work anywhere and doesn't need permission to be employed
​'Licensed'​Someone who is an 'essential employee'​Employer needs permission to employ a 'licensed' person
​'Entitled for work'
​Someone who has lived in Jersey for 5 consecutive years immediately before the date the card is issued, or is married to, or in a civil partnership or enduring relationship with, someone who is Entitled, Licensed, or Entitled for work
Can work anywhere and doesn't need permission to be employed
​'Registered'​Someone who does not qualify under the other categories​Employer needs permission to employ a 'Registered' person

There can be limited job options for people moving to Jersey if they don’t have ‘Entitled’ or ‘Entitled for Work’ status.  However, employers can apply for 'Licensed' and 'Registered' permissions for certain roles.

'Licensed' roles are for essential employees, where the required skillsets may be specialised. The business needs to provide evidence of its efforts to recruit on the island, in addition to details about its financial contribution to the island, training and succession planning. 'Registered' permissions, on the other hand, are usually given to businesses working in seasonal industries such as tourism, agriculture and hospitality.

Registration cards

When you start a new job in Jersey, your employer will need to see your registration card which shows your residential and employment status. When you arrive in Jersey, you need to visit Customer and Local Services to get your card.

If you're moving to Jersey with a partner, or child(ren), their residential and employment status may not be the same as yours. An unmarried partner will have 'Registered' status unless they’ve lived in Jersey previously. The residential and employment status of your child(ren) will depend on your status, and whether they are still in compulsory education when you move to Jersey.

Residential and employment statuses and registration cards

You can see what jobs are available in Jersey based on your residential and employment status.

Work permits

British and Irish citizens don’t need a work permit to work in Jersey.

Everyone else will require a work permit which has to be applied for by your prospective employer.

Employment law

The Employment (Jersey) Law 2003 is in place to protect people working in Jersey.

The law covers rights that make sure employees are:

  • paid at least the minimum wage as set by the Government of Jersey
  • entitled to a rest of at least 24 hours in each 7 day period
  • entitled to a minimum of 2 weeks annual leave each year
  • not unfairly dismissed
  • entitled to parental leave after birth or adoption of a child

The Jersey law differs slightly from UK and European laws.

Minimum wage

Find out the minimum wage in Jersey.

Finding a job

It’s best to secure a job before you decide to move. You can start to search for a job online. Most employers in Jersey will expect you to provide an up to date CV and references.

Moving to Jersey: Finding a job

Some businesses, particularly in the visitor and rural economy sectors, offer non-Jersey residents temporary contracts for work which lasts for a few months.

You should ensure that you have a temporary employment contract before you arrive in Jersey.​​

Moving to Jersey: Preparing to move

Your rights as a temporary employee leaflet

Your rights as a temporary employee leaflet in Filipino

Your rights as a temporary employee leaflet in Polish

Your rights as a temporary employee leaflet in Portuguese

Your rights as a temporary employee leaflet in Romanian

​Your rights as a temporary employ​ee leaflet in Swahili​

Setting up or moving a business to Jersey

If you want to become self-employed, set up a business, or move a business to Jersey, by law you must have a licence from the Business Licensing team before you can trade.

These licences are usually only granted to people who have been living in the island continuously for the past 5 years, or who have 'Entitled' status. There can be exceptions where the business is specialised or it has significant economic or social value to Jersey.

You can speak to the Business Licensing team at Customer and Local Services for advice, or you can contact Locate Jersey.

Back to top
rating button