Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

To help prevent the spread of coronavirus, everyone in Jersey is now ordered to stay at home.

Passport application formPassport application form

​If you need a visa

If you want to come to Jersey to study, work, live or visit you may need a visa. The Jersey visa requirements are aligned to the UK visa requirements. You may be refused entry to Jersey if you don’t have the necessary visa. ​This applies to all passengers regardless of age.

'Do I need a visa?' on UK visas website​

People who don’t need immigration permission

You don’t need immigration permission to live in Jersey if you are:

  • a British citizen
  • a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA)
  • the holder of an EEA family permit
  • a Swiss national

People who need immigration permission

If you’re not a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA) you may need immigration permission to live in Jersey.

You must meet certain requirements if you’re a non EU / EEA national wishing to come to the island to:

  • visit
  • study
  • work
  • live

If you’re a non EU / EEA national and are travelling to Jersey from abroad, you may require a United Kingdom visa.

Check if you need a UK visa on the website

If you’re a non EU / EEA national and you have immigration permission to visit, work or reside in the UK, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you won't need another UK visa or other immigration permission to visit Jersey. However, you may need a Jersey work permit, issued by the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service, if you intend to take employment.

Work permits

British citizens and nationals of a member state of the European Economic Area (EAA) don’t need a work permit to work in Jersey.

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in Jersey as other EEA nationals.

If you’re a Commonwealth citizen coming to Jersey for a working holiday, you don’t need a work permit but you will have to obtain entry clearance before arriving in Jersey.

Everyone else will require a work permit which has to be applied for by your prospective employer.

Back to top
rating button