Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Car mechanicsCar mechanics

Paying customs and GST duties on an imported vehicle

If you’re moving to Jersey and bringing a vehicle, you’ll need to register it as soon as you arrive and you may be liable for customs duty and / or Goods and Services Tax (GST). If you import a vehicle from within the EU, you'll need to pay GST at 5% on the value of the vehicle at import. This includes all freight charges and insurance costs.

If you import a vehicle from outside the EU, you'll need to pay GST at 5% and the Common Customs Tariff (CCT). Use the trade tariff link below to check duty rates.

You won’t be able to register a vehicle with Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) until customs have cleared it and you've paid the relevant duties (for example, Vehicle Emissions Duty).

Customs duty is charged according to the type of goods and where they are imported from.

In cases where duty or GST payment relief is granted, you’ll be liable for any relevant taxes if you sell, hire or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle within 12 months.

Registering your vehicle

If you intend to live here for more than 12 months, you need to register any vehicles you’re bringing with you immediately.

To register your vehicle, you need to complete the steps below.

Step 1. Make your Customs declarations online to pay any:

  • Goods and Services Tax (GST) due
  • Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED) due

Customs declaration and payment website

Documents you need to submit to Customs either by emailing Customs or sending in the post to Revenue and Goods Control, Customs and Immigration Service, Maritime House, La Route du Port Elizabeth, St Helier, JE1 1JD.

  • photo ID (driving licence or passport)
  • registration document (usually V5C which must include CO2 for cars and CC for vans)
  • invoice for vehicle or a recent valuation
  • ferry ticket for bringing the vehicle to Jersey

Step 2. Visit Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) at La Collette to:

  • book your vehicle in for an inspection by completing the VRD 17 booking form
  • pay the vehicle examination fee (£41.50)
  • complete VRD 2 application form (available from the DVS registration office)
  • pay the registration fee (£34)

VRD 17 booking form

Documents you’ll need to bring to DVS

You'll need to provide the following documents to the Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) office to complete your registration:
  • a Jersey driving licence (obtainable from your parish hall)
  • a valid insurance certificate or cover note for your vehicle (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
  • a Jersey customs import declaration (not required where the person registering is a customs approved trader)
  • a valid registration certificate or export certificate (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
  • the registration document or certificate of permanent export for the vehicle (If being imported from the UK sections 1 to 8 of the V5C document will be required)
  • a certificate of type approval for vehicles under 25 years old
  • an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle

Registering your vehicle in Jersey

Paying Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED)

You'll need to pay Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED) when your vehicle is first registered in the island. This includes vehicles already in the island that have not yet been registered with 'J' plates.

The amount of duty you pay will be based on the manufacturers' CO2 emissions data which is normally only available for vehicles produced since March 2001. For any vehicle produced before March 2001, the cubic capacity (CC) will be used for the VED calculation.

Check your vehicle’s CO2 emissions​

Vehicles not registered in another country

Vehicles which have never been registered fall into two categories:

  • vehicles with EU type approval
  • vehicles without EU type approval

For both categories, you'll need to produce either of the following (as well as the documents noted above):

  • a completed V55 / 1 (this form is issued by the manufacturer of the vehicle when it leaves the factory)
  • acceptable evidence from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's main dealer that the vehicle was supplied unregistered (certificate of origin for ex-USA vehicles)

All vehicles built in the EU for use in EU countries will have EU type approval.

Your registration documents will contain your type approval number, or you can contact your vehicle manufacturer.

Registering your vehicle in Jersey

Request a licence plate number

You can request a specific licence plate number using our online licence plate request form.

Request a licence plate online

You’ll need to pay £250 to purchase the plate and £104 to assign the number to a Jersey registered vehicle. If it’s a new and unregistered vehicle, you’ll only need to pay £34.

Back to top
rating button